WILL I GET EGGS SOON!

• 19 Replies

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« on: September 10, 2008, 20:57 »
I bought 6 POL hens at 17 weeks old, they are now 22 weeks old and no sign of any eggs? I have 1 light sussex, 1 buff sussex, 1 red sussex, 1 speckled sussex and 2 lavander araucanas. they are in a run until 4.00pm every day when I get home from work they are let out into the garden until they put themselves to bed. I have them on layers pellets, they have a couple of pieces of bread every day and a handful of corn scattered into the run to keep them busy. They were  bought from a very reputable breeder so I am sure they are the age I was told. Am I doing anything wrong. Their run is approx 10 x 10ft and they seem very healthy. They were treated with powder as a lice prevention when I got them and I keep a fresh peeled clove of garlic in their drinking water for protection.
1 araucana has a very red comb the rest are pinks through to pale red tinged. I would appreciate your expert comments
thanks
sue

Vember

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 21:01 »
Hello and Welcome

Once the combs are really red you can expect eggies soon, I think Bodger put a piece about this somewhere I'll find it for you.

One note on the bread, you are giving it to them moist aren't you? It's not good if they have it dry :)

I'll be right back with the egg info if I can find it  :lol:

sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 21:01 »
They'll lay soon I'm sure.  24 -26 weeks is not late to start.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 21:02 »
They will lay when they are good and ready sued.  Unless they are sterile, which does happen sometimes, but chances of none of yours laying is pretty slim!

Some of our Babcock's started to lay at 17 weeks, but now at about 22 weeks, some still aren't.  And most of our last lot of Amberlinks didn't start until they were 25 or 26 weeks.  In fact, Rosie still never has laid an egg and she is 1 year and 3 days old today, and one of our Goldlines who we got at POL last August, didn't lay an egg until March this year, but has been laying regularly ever since!!!!

Vember

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 21:07 »
Here's the article

Lots of good info here, the piece about laying bird is after the first few photo's but it's all very good stuff and useful to read through :)

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=22990

Look forward to hearing and seeing your first egg ( we love photo's here :) )

Sarah :)

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 21:38 »
thanks for the replies,
vember I didnt know the bread had to be moist,  I just break it up and give it to them in quite large pieces. I started giving them some bread because they were taking it off the low feeders I have in the garden for the wild birds, as well as finishing off wild bird seed if I forget to lift it out of their reach when its their turn in the garden lol.
 In the day the wild birds and my cats are in charge of the garden then when I let out my ladies they are the garden queens till bedtime then its over to the hedgehogs that I put food out for in the evenings.
sue

mumsy

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 17:36 »
Could you post a piccie? Araucana hens usually don't have a comb :shock:  only the boys :shock:   Pure breeds won't usually lay til about 26 weeks.  The Hybrids lay between 17 & 22 weeks or there abouts.
Welcome by the way :wink:

Bodger

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 17:45 »
Essentially, pullets at 17 weeks of age are not old enough to be sold as POL.

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 17:45 »
oh no mumsy,
you've scared me now, I live in a semi on an estate and i dont think neigbours would be too pleased if my hen starts crowing!
wouldent it have started to crow by now if it was a boy? she is quite bossy and stands her ground against the other girls who are a much bigger breed and has a definate comb which the other araucana dosent have

mumsy

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 17:50 »
Some can be about 6 months old before they cockle cockle doo!!! What's her :?: tail feathers like?  A piccy would be handy :wink:

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 18:02 »
hi mumsy
can you tell me how to upload photos please

mumsy

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 20:31 »
Hi
Here is the info on posting pics, hope it helps

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=19476
Look forward to seeing them all :wink:

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 21:17 »
hopefully this should be pics of all the girls, scary is the dubious hen and scardie is the other lavander araucana.If this works I will try and get some photos of the des res my hubbie has built them inclusive of professionally tiled roof a friend of his did for us

sued

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 21:20 »
oops, sorry everyone  you will have to scroll all along to see them, I need to practice at this uploading malarky lol
I forgot to say technophobe is my other name lol

mumsy

WILL I GET EGGS SOON!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 22:19 »
They do look quite young.  Difficult to say about your Araucana, one looks alot younger than the other.  Tried to post mine who is about 20 weeks but photobucket not working at the mo.  Most prob girlies, if not, the person you got them from should take them back.  I bought one at 7 weeks & he turned out to be a boy.  I now have a hen!!! I will post pics of both when its back up.

Lovely pics btw  :D

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 37 queries.