Sweetcorn not babies!

• 3 Replies

millie C

Sweetcorn not babies!
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:21 »
Hi, just wondering if anyone else has planted suttons baby sweetcorn and like me have managed to grow them to approx 5ft tall. Bit baffled because grew the same crop last year and they were indeed baby corn
just like it said on the packet. The downside to it is they have swamped my raised bed and nothing else has done that well, the upside is that I have a massive crop of corn on the cob (not so good in the chinese stirfry as the baby ones - tend to fill up the wok a bit quickly!!!) I suppose I could contact the seed company because they must have been wrongly packaged seeds - just wondered if I was the only one?

Big Jen

Sweetcorn not babies!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:46 »
Your not the only one- mine are 5 foot high with large cobs :!:
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

nickplant

Re: Sweetcorn not babies!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:50 »
I've had the same sort of experience - mine weren't from Suttons (impulse buy @ B & Q due to knock-down price late-ish Spring, if I remember right) but my so-called babies also grew into monster plants, and the fruits now look like those on normal corn. In addition, we've done 2 or 3 trial harvests of a single cob and so far they've been unripe -and pretty inedible- every time. I was kind-of waiting for some sun to ripen them somewhat! but maybe had better get them all in now... PS: I'm a newbie - ie first-year allotmenteer - so could easily have done something wrong, though most other stuff has done well. Nick

gobs

Sweetcorn not babies!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 14:02 »
Unfortunately, two different types of corn are sold for babycorn, there some specially bred for babycorn growing - if I remember well, even these can be left for mature ones - and some ordinary varieties thought good for close spacing.

The thing is they are the same thing, harvested at different times.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
My Fat Babies

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 11:47
by surbie100
xx
Fat babies just forming how are yours?

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:55
by Madame Cholet
xx
Garlic babies

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 13:52
by grendel
xx
Cauliflower babies already getting attacked

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 10:21
by MrsR

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.