creasote!

• 5 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
creasote!
« on: September 02, 2008, 17:15 »
Hello again. We will be making an old 5'x5' playhouse into a big house so we can have a few more girls and have read that creasote is good to paint the inside with because red mites dont like it, but I can only find the creasote substitute and I understand that it has to be the real thing!? Does anybody know if you can you still buy it??? and if so where?
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poultrygeist

creasote!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 17:50 »
Creosote is no longer available for the layman. I think it can be obtained and used by licensed professionals for certain uses.

I've got no idea what the certain uses are and whether you could find a pro to do the job for you.

If you do, you have to let it air out for a long time so as not to choke the chooks !  :)

Rob 8)

wighty

creasote!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 20:38 »
The 'proper' creosote is only now available in I thilnk 50 gallon drums to those people who hold HSE licences to use it,.  I thinkl this would be far too much for what you are intending.  I've also posted elsewhere tonight about another common product that is ending, Sodium Chlorate (weedkiller next July) but all paint will be water based from 2010.

flocko

creasote!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56 »
Hi   RK&J JONES LTD Thetford Norfolk  will sell you 25Lts for recoating hen houses you can buy it online        hope this helps   John

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
creasote!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:31 »
You can buy it in SPALDING!!!!  But its 5 gallons at a time, we had no trouble getting it.  Just told them it was for our chicken houses.

But yes you do have to leave the house open for at last a week, we left ours for 2 weeks as Munty told me that any fumes left can kill the chickens.  But I was also worried about them pecking the insides as they were creosoted as well as the outside.  So Brian lined the bottom half of the house with hardboard and I still poultryshield that just in case!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
creasote!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 21:45 »
thanks everyone :D

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 27 queries.