« on: September 02, 2008, 16:28 »
are they edible or non edible

Thank you

[/IMG]
Maria

Ropster

can anyone name these mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 16:48 »
They look like plain Field mushrooms to me but as the photo is indistinct I wouldn't take my word for it and I wouldn't eat them unless toy are very sure what they are

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 16:51 »
It's difficult to say exactly what they are but they do look like field mushrooms. I wouldn't eat them unless you can get a positive id though. Field mushrooms are very similar to the button mushrooms you buy in the shops and are edible but it's better to be on the safe side.

Fat Hen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 17:50 »
Field mushrooms.  White mushrooms, single skirt & dark gills.  OK.  

White mushrooms or white with greenish palor to cap & white gills or yellowy white, two skirts  (=deadly poisnous not called destroying angel & deathcap for nothing).  

I personally wouldn't pick any in the "button" stage, stick to fully open ones where gills have gone that typical browny/black, to be certain of picking edible variety.

NB:  There is no antidote to mushroom poisoning.

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 21:16 »
Check the smell out!  If horse mushroom (which it looks like) should smell of aniseed or bitter almonds.

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 22:06 »
I am a bit suspicious of these particularly as they don't look to be in a typical field mushroom or horse mushroom location. I would not eat them and I will risk most things including mushrooms I find randomly. give it a sniff and maybe cut it in half and see if it changes colour at all all the way through or just on the outside

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 14:55 »
They do look like big field mushrooms but it is never worth taking a risk with gilled mushrooms. Let me recommend a site!

www.rogersmushrooms.com contains all the information you'll find in  Roger Phillips "Mushrooms" book, which is the best on the market. Everything is relevant: size, colour of stem, cap and gills, bruising, smell and habitat. Once you are sure, eat and enjoy!

This year is only just starting, but between this year and last we have eaten, frozen and dried:

* ceps (the best)
* bay boletes
* velvet boletes
* oyster mushrooms, wild off an old beech tree
* Lawyer's wigs
* cauliflower fungus
* puffballs
* parasol mushrooms

- all delicious and quite easy to recognise.
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Fat Hen

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 00:41 »
Quote from: "janeheritage"
They do look like big field mushrooms but it is never worth taking a risk with gilled mushrooms. Let me recommend a site!

www.rogersmushrooms.com contains all the information you'll find in  Roger Phillips "Mushrooms" book, which is the best on the market. Everything is relevant: size, colour of stem, cap and gills, bruising, smell and habitat. Once you are sure, eat and enjoy!

This year is only just starting, but between this year and last we have eaten, frozen and dried:

* ceps (the best)
* bay boletes
* velvet boletes
* oyster mushrooms, wild off an old beech tree
* Lawyer's wigs
* cauliflower fungus
* puffballs
* parasol mushrooms

- all delicious and quite easy to recognise.

Fresh Ceps/Porccini mushrooms, I reckon are the king of mushrooms, absolutely fantastic.  I did have my own "secret" area where i collected these, however it seems to have been discovered by other's who take everything leaving nothing behind for subsequent years.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:45 »
Ceps are indeed the tops, at least in this country which is too cold for Caesar's Mushroom.

And you are so right about the foragers.  :x  I live in Surrey and unless you find them early, at the start of the season, whole areas are completely stripped - even of old mushrooms, and also right down below the surface, which damages the mycelium and means they won't grow so well again next year.

I believe a lot of people make money by selling them to restaurants in London and Paris. I think we should have mushroom police enforcing a locals-only policy and forcing offenders to eat Amanita Phalloides (Death Cap to you and me)!

End of rant. Mushrooms are the best  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 13:28 »
I see the chap who wrote The Horse Whisperer (plus his wife and in-laws) has eaten poisonous mushrooms by mistake.

They could turn his liver to mush if he's really unlucky, but they think they got treatment in time.

I'm too much of a coward to take a risk. It seems for every eadible one, there's a very similar looking poisonouse one.  :shock:

Rob 8)

nsalt

Safe mushroom identification
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:22 »
Plenty of good advice already, but you really have to be thorough if you're to safely identify a wild mushroom and eat it. Have a look at Mushrooms without fear: 9 steps to avoid poisoning yourself

xx
mushrooms

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 13:08
by arthur cooke
question
Mushrooms

Started by newby on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 07:30
by savbo
xx
Mushrooms

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 18:44
by mumofstig
xx
I've got mushrooms ....

Started by PurplePixie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 18:21
by PurplePixie

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 36 queries.