Starting on new land - help and advice ?

• 3 Replies

Mark-L-G

« on: September 01, 2008, 12:33 »
Hi to all on the Allotment Forum  :D - the wife and I have just taken on a new allotment here in North Cornwall. It's bascially on a piece of farm land that has been left unused for many years, we are the first to take a plot on it. I was looking for some advice  :roll: as to the best way to clear and prepare this plot. I have started digging some over, it's maily covered with grasses, but it's taking one hell of a time and I wondering if it might be better to cover it with black plastic over winter to kill off the grasses etc ?? OR and other better ideas ? ploughing it would be GREAT but we can't get a tractor in becuase of narrow access. I really don't want to use chemicals unless I have to......

MANY THANKS - Mark & Laura  :lol:

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 15:30 »
I would say that since the plot has been unused for so long, the best thing to do is dig it all over this autumn, removing weeds and adding lots of organic material such a compost and manure (as long as there's no contamination issues). It will be hard work but I think you have to do it to begin with to break up the soil. Once that's done then I would cover it with black weed proof fabric until the spring. That should stop the weeds growing. It all depend how much time you want to spend at this stage. If you don't have a lot of time available then it might be worth strimming the grass and covering it all in fabric to kill off all the weeds. Then in early spring it's time to dig it all over.

Mark-L-G

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 15:55 »
Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking, it's a BIG plot so I don't think I'll get time to dig so a combination of both might do  - unless anyone has any better ideas ??  :roll:

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 16:01 »
Sounds a bit big to cover it all so your 'combination of both' is the best way to go IMHO. Cover as much as you can and keep digging the rest. If, come next spring, you find you need more than you have been able to dig, the covered area will be much easier to prepare, just needing forking over.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Advice requested about preparing land

Started by dead eye dave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 10:47
by noshed
xx
Advice on starting allotment in July?

Started by offbeatwarble on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 11:57
by offbeatwarble
xx
Advice on starting an organic school garden?

Started by veggienut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 15:57
by Esme
xx
Rhubarb advice: starting small bare root plants

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2022, 22:16
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.