I have finally acquired some ex battery hens

• 5 Replies

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« on: August 31, 2008, 18:15 »
I have kept chickens for the last 2 - 3 years but have finally got some ex battery hens which I bought on Saturday.  I have five bald but active girlies running around at home.  My question is, do they need anything different to my normal girls seeing as they are lacking in feathers and it is not instinct for them yet to keep out of the rain.  I would hate for them to catch a chill.  They are in a pen and amazingly they took themselves off to bed last night and when I let them out this morning there were five eggs waiting for me.  It felt so good knowing I had done something good for these girls and in there own way rewarding me with eggs.  Sorry if I am rambling on its just I feel so honoured to have them.  One of the girls has already been named Ginger after chicken run as everytime I open the door she tries to escape.  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 20:45 »
Treat them like they are going through a moult and give them more protein, e.g. meat and/or chick crumbs with layers mixed in.  That coupled with a bit of wind in their hair (which they have not experienced before) should do the trick.  Mine feathered up mostly ok, but there is still the odd one that is lacking a patch of feathers or two.

Enjoy the massive eggs!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 21:35 »
Hiya, good on you for getting some ex batts. Where did you get yours from as we drove across to Lancashire to get ours.
Weve had ours since March and they still stand out in the rain and get soaked.
They will have their feathers back in no time.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:57 »
Thanks Monty Tom I have some chick crumb as I still have a few chicks so will mix a little of that in with their layers mash today.  :D Mtoyne they came from Driffeld originally but I brought them at Selby auction.  From what I could gather from the man that was selling them he collects them from the farmer then sells them at auction.  To be honest he wouldn't make much money on them by the time he has paid auction fees etc but at least it is saving some girls from the inevitable.  He also said he was bringing some more in a fortnight if you know anyone that wants some and they sell them in lots of fives.  I haven't checked the coop yet for eggs as they are still in bed as they are a little bit vocal when they see me so daren't let them out until after eight or my neighbours will be complaining again.  :evil: I must admit the eggs seem huge compared to my other girlies and it looks like I maybe inundated with eggs if I get 11 eggs again today like I did yesterday with some of my pol birds also starting to lay.  :lol:

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 13:53 »
Hiya chicken soup, another nosey question but how much does he sell them for? Didnt realise there was an auction in Selby, hide my car keys. What else do they have at the auction?

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 16:10 »
:lol:  :lol: I bought my girls for £3 for five but obviuosly that would vary at the next auction could be more, could be less.  As for whatelse is at auction well theres rabbits, ferrets, ducks, geese, pigs, cows and a miscellaneous section where basically its all the old stuff you don't need anymore.  Anything from bits of wood to washing machines, box of veg to chicken coops.  It is very varied hence the reason I tend to go.  I look at all the animals to buy and hubby looks at the miscellaneous (otherwise called junk by me  :lol:  :lol: )  Note hubby wasn't actually at the auction when  I bought the ex batts when I rang him to say have you brought a box as he was enroute he said "what have you gone and bought now"  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Please help, im looking for 3 ex-battery hens

Started by muddypaws on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 12:16
by pigeonpie
xx
PRE EX-Battery hens

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 16:36
by sorrel
xx
Battery Hens

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 22:31
by Foxy
xx
battery hens

Started by karenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 20:21
by karenn

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 28 queries.