Do I need to change their feed when they moult

• 6 Replies

Planner

« on: August 31, 2008, 08:51 »
I think my girls are soon starting to moult. Seeing a number of feathers building up in the run over the last few days.
I estimate them to be about 24 weeks, all but one have laid now. I am feeding them primarily on layers pellets. Do I keep with this or should I change or supplement their feed during the moult?

John
The man with a plan

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:05 »
Hi Planner,  the pellets should be fine as they have all of the nutrients that the girls will need, but if you could get some apple cider vinegar in their water (not a lot, no more than 1 part to 20) this should help to keep them perky.

Also, when they go off lay it would be OK to give them a bit of seed or corn as a treat as it's hard on them when they're moulting.  

I'm sure others will be along with some other suggestions as to how to keep their vitamin levels up too

:D

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:17 »
Planner they may be going through a "partial moult" are they moulting mainly from the neck area? The reason I suggest this is that mostly hens dont go through a full moult in their first year, so would be worth investigating other reasons for the feather loss. To check for a moult you will be able to see new feathers coming through, any evidence of blood or broken feathers would point in the direction of pecking, however, young hens often go through a mini moult mainly from the neck area though.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55 »
I've always been recommended to add a little cat food or tuna to their diet to give them a boost of protein to help growing back all those feathers. Not too much or they get fat and don't lay so well. Mine get a bit of dried cat food, think if I put out tuna the cats would finally revolt! Thats their weekend treat!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chookiepaula

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 16:57 »
You can give additional vitamins to help with the moult, the liquid vitamins for chicldren can be used - called Abidec. You can also get bird rearing food (used to hand rear parrots and the likes) mix it with water and they love it! Lots of extra vitamins/minerals etc. Its also a good one to have to hand should the fall ill as nutritionally it is better than pellets. If you can get them used to eating odd times then when/if ill they will readily take it.

:D
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 17:38 »
short answer ........ no....... just feed the same with plenty greens .....
still alive /............

Planner

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 19:04 »
Thanks all for the replys.

As Foxy mentions, I think it's a partial moult, as all the feathers are the small neck area. I cannot see any pecking going on.

I hang a white cabbage head high in the run, they absolutely love it, although it does make me laugh when one pulls a lump out of it, the cabage then swings around and clobbers an unsuspecting girl on the head. :lol:

I've also got some good rotting compost, full of brandling worms and wood lice, chucking an occasional forkfull into the run causes much excitment and charging around initially fighting over the worms and then scurrying around for the fleeing woodlice.

I never thought chicken keeping could be so entertaining

xx
Behaviour change during moult?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 18:41
by nerdle
xx
Help! Is this a moult?

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 15:40
by OpiumEater
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs
xx
moult?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 22:57
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 36 queries.