Tagetes

• 10 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Tagetes
« on: February 05, 2007, 13:26 »
I'm shopping around for some seeds for companion plants, and seem to recall that the marigolds I need are "tagetes" - is this right?  If so, will any variety do?  I'm a bit confused...

Apart from sacrificial nasturtiums to keep the blackfly off my beans, and basil round the tomatoes, what other companion plants should I be looking out for?

Cheers!

wellingtons

I think ...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 13:43 »
... on the marigold front they have to be scented, which the tagetes varieties are.  They do summat which keeps nematoded out of the soil.  And they deter whitefly.

Borage is one to grow near your tomatoes, but I can't remember why.  Also commercial strawberry farms, near my dad, always grow borage, must be a reason!

If you grow chamomile near your cucumbers, it's supposed to enhance the flavour.  Mind you my chamomile is fabulous, no and the one  :shock:  cucumber I grew tasted nice!

Poached egg plants are supposed to be good for attracting hoverflies, which eat lots of bugs, greenfly, whitefly etc.  In fact anything that particularly attracts hoverflies is a good thing - fennel is the best for that, it's like a bug version of a pleasure park!

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Tagetes
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 14:08 »
I have a packet of french marigolds are these scented ?

muntjac

Tagetes
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 14:32 »
sure are  pongy . tips for ya later in the eyar when they die back to seed heads  colect them when they are dry in the sun put in a brown paper bag shake and the seds wil fall from the husks , save the seeds in envelopes . sow in normal compost next year in spring . plant out and they wil stink even more and be bigger , feed them during the growing with sulphate of ammonia for masses of flowers  and even more stinkies
still alive /............

brendit

Tagetes
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 15:44 »
I plant nasturtiums to keep the cabbage white butterflies off my cabbages / cauli / kale / etc.  Always plenty of caterpillers on the nasturtiums (plus just a few on the cabbages to pick off by hand - organic and all that).

Annie

Tagetes
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 15:54 »
Protect your marigolds from slugs when you first plant them out,they make a bee line for them.Fennel in my gardenseems to get covered on aphids later in summer,maybe thats what attracts the hoverflies.flowering thistles attract hoverflies,but this can be a bit of a mixed blessing if you let them seed.

Jake

• Rockers
Tagetes
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 17:12 »
cool, I've got borage this year, I only bought it coz I didn't know what use it was, the pack says you eat the flowers.

I know where to put it now.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Trillium

Re: I think ...
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 17:56 »
Re Borage: Bees absolutely love borage flowers and it's a great attractant for pollinating strawberry crops well. Orchard growers use similar tricks to attract early mason bees to pollinate tree crops. Too bad about the lonely cuke, though. Perhaps the chamomile was too sweet for the bees to bother with the cuke. :smile:

Borage is one to grow near your tomatoes, but I can't remember why.  Also commercial strawberry farms, near my dad, always grow borage, must be a reason!

If you grow chamomile near your cucumbers, it's supposed to enhance the flavour.  Mind you my chamomile is fabulous, no and the one  :shock:  cucumber I grew tasted nice!

Poached egg plants are supposed to be good for attracting hoverflies, which eat lots of bugs, greenfly, whitefly etc.  In fact anything that particularly attracts hoverflies is a good thing - fennel is the best for that, it's like a bug version of a pleasure park![/quote]

muntjac

Tagetes
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 20:33 »
welcome to the site trilium mate , somebody stick a pin in th map for a canadian member joing us  :wink:

Annie

Tagetes
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 23:28 »
Borage is especially for pimms as it tastes like cucumber and the flowers look pretty next to the mint leaves,so they tell me......

Trillium

Tagetes
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 02:55 »
Thanks, mate.  The pin would have to go halfway across Canada, then down. I hope to get some pix downloaded soon for our weather at the moment, and my gardens.

xx
Tagetes

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 22:42
by frazzy
xx
tagetes suppressing or imhibiting marestail?

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 13:21
by Goosegirl
xx
Tagetes minuta. Super Weed Controller?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 09:43
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 36 queries.