hen terminology

• 6 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
hen terminology
« on: August 25, 2008, 18:20 »
A baby bird is called a chick.
at 17 weeks or so they are point-of-lay,
but what are they called in between? Is there a term for this stage of development?
When they start to lay they are pullets until their first moult.

Vember

hen terminology
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 18:24 »
Errrrrr are they growers between chick & pol ??

Sarah :)

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
hen terminology
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 19:44 »
dunno cos i was wondering if i need to shift mine when the time comes off chick crumb onto growers, before they go onto layers pellets?

poultrygeist

hen terminology
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 19:57 »
Think they go onto growers about 5 or 6 weeks don;t they ?

Have to check on one of the feed manufacturers sites. BOCM Farmgate site should say.

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
hen terminology
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 23:18 »
Quote from: "chooknewbie"
dunno cos i was wondering if i need to shift mine when the time comes off chick crumb onto growers, before they go onto layers pellets?
hello chooknewbie, our babies came off the chick crumb at 6-8 weeks the feed bag said switch them to growers pellets any time between 4-8 wks then onto layers pellets from 15 weeks (important if its medicated feed apparently)WOW! I'm starting to sound like a pro now!!! although this is all I know :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
hen terminology
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 23:57 »
I always thought a pullet was a young hen less than a year old, but older than a chick, but we also call them growers.  I found this, I know its American, but similar to what we say, apart from unsexed chicks we call as hatched rather than straight run!

Chickens are classified by sex and age, too. Although these terms tend to vary considerably, depending upon whether they are being applied to exhibitions, or commercial poultry production. Cockerel is a male chicken under one year of age; cock or rooster is a male more than one year old; pullet is a female under one year, and hen is a female over one year of age. When chicks are first hatched, they may be separated by sexes and are then called sexed chicks. If they have not been separated, they are known as straight-run chicks.

Bodger

hen terminology
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 18:33 »
That always been my understanding too Grannie.

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.