What a difference two days make!

• 9 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
« on: August 24, 2008, 19:19 »
Well, we have been really hard at work and have almost cleared it.  We have one small patch to do in front of the greenhouse and it is all weed free and dug over.

I have to say - the soil was so good that the weeds just came out easily and it was really easy to dig.  We now have two huge piles of weeds so we are going to speak to the Allotment committee peson to find out about burning them.

I have also today written to the town council to get permission to get rid of the old greenhouse and put up a new, proper one.  Along with a new small shed which we thought could be a sort of play shed for our two girls (anything to keep them occupied).

Here are some more piccies (I posted two days ago with the before photos).

This is the bit that still needs a little more work on it.

Here is one of the before photos

I always find that work gets in the way of life.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 19:48 »
I think thats fantastic, especially as you seem to be on a slope.  You must've worked really hard.  Well done.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 19:53 »
It looks more sloped that it is as I was standing further down the hill to take the photos.

Half of it is terraced and the other half was terraced but as the plot has been split in half (with us having half) we have had to take some of that terracing out.

I have to say that the old chap that had it kept it fantastically - apparantely he put loads of manure on every year, for the last 30 years.  It has been like digging in a big bag of compost!

Everyone keeps coming up and telling us how lucky we are to have got that plot!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 19:53 »
Wow! You've worked hard. Time to put you're feet up and have a drink  :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 15:18 »
Absolutely brilliant progress, well done - what are you going to plant first?

When getting rid of the greenhouse, don't just throw it away.  There will be someone on your local freecycle who will be so happy to dismantle it and take it away I'm sure.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 16:50 »
It is all dug!  I finished the last little patch this afternoon.  We just have to decide where if the path is going to stay where it is or if we are going to move it but we cant really do that until we know about the new greenhouse and shed.

Thanks for the tip about freecylcle - I never thought of that!

The girls have planted some seeds out - radishes and lettuce.  I dont know if they will do anything but they were desperate to plant something.

I have ordered some brassicas (curly kale, purple sprouting broc and spring cabbage) which should be here next week so that can be my dad's job to get them in as we are away next weekend.

Although it has been hard work I have really enjoyed this weekend.  Am just waiting for dinner to cook and then getting ready for a night out with friends and a well deserved couple of glasses of red!

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 20:17 »
Quote from: "debih"
The girls have planted some seeds out - radishes and lettuce.  I dont know if they will do anything but they were desperate to plant something.

They will grow!  My son was the same when we started a month ago and some of his lettuce leaves are ready to pick and I ate some of the radishes today - 3 weeks after sowing!

I will never forget the look on my son's face when he saw the first lettuce leaf growing through.  Well worth the backbreaking digging!

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 20:50 »
Wow you've worked wonders! You really have earnt those glasses of red! I hope you enjoy them :D
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 20:00 »
My dad came back off his hols yesterday and I took him up there today.

The look on his face was priceless as he really did think that we wouldnt do it and that he would end up digging it all himself.

We have left him one piece to dig which has been covered with black plastic so it shouldnt be too bad.  I think he is going up on Saturday to get it finished off.

I also left some weeding for my mum to do (I am determined to get her involved).  Unfortunately it is the weeding between the raspberry canes so it is very close to the ground. But it will keep her busy.

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 21:42 »
after a couple of glasses hope you remember where you live ,and dont end up at the lottie as it looks like youve lived there all last week.
and take your wellies off before you go !!! :lol:   well done
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Does it make any difference....

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 05:55
by paintedlady
xx
What's the difference

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 19:27
by fatcat1955
xx
What is the difference between

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 10:30
by rowlandwells
xx
What is the difference?

Started by PupStar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 21:45
by PupStar

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.