Onions

• 5 Replies

Rosy

Onions
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:24 »
Hi everyone, I really am new to all this but about two years ago I decided to put a 'few' veg seeds that I won in a competition into a very small patch of garden we have and everything came up, I was hooked on veg growing after that.  I am a complete novice however and could do with lots of advice.  The first thing is onions, I have planted some seeds in a large trough (3' x 14") and they are just coming up.  They will obviously need thinning out once they are big enough (first question is how big do they need to be before I do this)  and can I plant the ones that I take out in the actual veg plot or do I have to throw them away.

Also when is the best time to move a rhubarb crown  :roll:
Clueless but learning

M0rph3u5

Onions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:53 »
are we talking spring onions or regular stuff?

are they for over wintering? as onions would have been sown ages ago

the packet of seeds will tell you if they are for overwintering

spring and regular overwintering will not need any maintenance until spring next year

spring dont usually need thinning just eat them as they come out or if tightly packed together transplant

regular need thinning out when the time is right but again your seed packet should tell you their recommendations

paul meese

Rosey,s onoins
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:53 »
Every one has to start some where, i bet next yr you will be growing big Kelseys like me

Rosy

Onions
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 19:22 »
Thanks for this.  these are regular onions for overwintering and the seed packet does say to thin 'as necessary'.  bust it sounds like I can leave them until the spring before I do anything else with them, am really grateful for that advice. Don't even know what a Kelsey is yet  :oops: but I will find out.  thanks again

M0rph3u5

Onions
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 19:44 »
and now for the rhubarb question

try this link:

h**p://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/feeling-fruity/moving-rhubarb_4039.html

Rosy

Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 21:29 »
Thanks again for this will wait until winter as suggested and then replant.  I feel I have learned quite a bit already on here and am really glad I found this site

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 36 queries.