Thin radishes

• 9 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Thin radishes
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:55 »
Hi everyone. I started some radishes in my g/house and transplanted them 3-4 weeks ago.
They are now growing upwards - like bolting- and I pulled a couple up to find the root part is just long and thin. They are not bulking out into the usual radish shape.
I assume the upward growth is taking energy away from the root area, but what has caused it?
I thought bolting was caused by dry conditions, definitely something we have not had over the past few weeks.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Thin radishes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:12 »
The only thing I can think of is that it's the transplanting that's done it.

Try sowing direct and thin from there.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Knoblauch

Thin radishes
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08 »
I've had the same thing with all my radishes so far, and they have all been sown in situ.  I assumed it was lack of potash in the soil or something?  Just one was really huge and juicy, all the others undersize.

SalJ1980

Re: Thin radishes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19 »
Quote from: "willowman"
the root part is just long and thin. They are not bulking out into the usual radish shape.

Not all types of radish are round, some ARE long and thin.... :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

traceyr

Thin radishes
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28 »
I transplanted my radishes (only one variety) and they took off slowly but soon established themselves.

I pulled some yesterday for eating (obviously!!  :lol: ) and got a real variety in shapes and colour!!  Some dark, others bright pink; some long and fat, some long and thin, other short and round!!

Isn't that the beauty of homegrown - nothing looks like supermarket stuff??  As long as we know whre it came from and it tastes mighty fine does it matter whet they look like??
Tracey ;) OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  Somebody's watching me!!!!!!!

Bobbeh

Thin radishes
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 14:48 »
What variety have you planted? As has been mentioned some aren't supposed to be round.

Have you planted them next to something else? My sparkler radishes went very long and straggly when I planted the second sowing too close to the first and they had to grow very leggy to get some light. This caused some odd shapes when the radishes started to form.

Do you have any pictures?

themoog

• Experienced Member
Thin radishes
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 19:34 »
Mine have done exactly the same thing, practically bolting leaves and just a tiddly thin root, certainly nothing to eat.

I used the same variety ('Sparkler'), sown in situ, the only difference being that I have grown them in the greenhouse for the first time.

I think that I'll go back to growing them in the beds  :? .
Moog
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

willowman

• Experienced Member
Thin radishes
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:50 »
Thanks everyone.
It was a packet of mixed seeds, so I did expect some to be different shapes, but the roots that I've pulled up are not much thicker than the above ground shoot.
I have to admit it may be the site, I used them to fill in a bit of space about 6 feet from my leylandii hedge, next to some runner beans which have also been a disaster in this part of the plot. Life is a constant learning process and now I've learnt that you can't grow veg right next to leylandii.
Also may have planted them too close together, tried to cram too many (being greedy) into the space.
I'll do what I usually do - leave them and see what happens.

Elcie

Thin radishes
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 15:09 »
Some of my radishes look almost ready and I am so excited as they will be the first thing we eat from the Allotment (had it 1 month)!  I was wondering how long to wait and whether they will get rounder or stay long and thin - I can't remember what variety they were!

Yabba

Thin radishes
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 15:13 »
Quote from: "Elcie"
was wondering how long to wait

Depends when you next make a salad :tongue2: .... mind you, I always pick stuff in an optimistic "it must be ready already" manner .... amazed I don't eat more seed than a budgie :tongue2:

¥

xx
Jerusalem Artichoke seedlings: To thin or not to thin?

Started by PickledPink on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2021, 20:01
by Mr Dog
xx
Carrots - to thin or not to thin?

Started by Vegpot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 14:14
by luckypurplebutterfly
xx
Radishes

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 07:53
by DD.
xx
Radishes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 20:58
by WG.

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 36 queries.