Help with asparagus.

• 7 Replies

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
Help with asparagus.
« on: August 23, 2008, 22:26 »
Hello.  

I have taken on a plot this year (half plot, as this is all that was available.)  I am in two minds about whether to plant up an asparagus bed on it.  I love to eat them but is the loss of space worth the effort?  Also, if I do plant it up how many crowns would you recommend.  I know not to eat any for a couple of years :(  but I would like to be able to scoff away in the future.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kate and her Ducks

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 22:30 »
Oooh would love the space for asparagus. Go for it.  :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Bombers

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 22:36 »
Hi allstars_princess

How far on are you with your plot? I mean have you managed to fully utilise
all the space this year?
I too have a half plot and am now seriously short of space. :(  I really would like an asparagus bed, and was thinking of perhaps 8-10 crowns. But I really cannot justify that amount of space for such a long period of time :?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Brambles

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 23:08 »
My asparagus has just had it's first really productive year this year.  I reckon about 3-4 crowns per person, judging by this years crop anyway! Well worth the effort and space, they were excellent.  Looking forward to next year!  Read Jamie Oliver's efforts on asparagus, he grows on quite high raised beds, mostly on rich compost and manure... they looked amazing!  Will definitly feed well for next year..  Give it a go, just start with a few crowns and maybe add each year??  Good luck.

Hampshire Hog

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 23:49 »
I have 2 beds one at home and one at allotment. The one at home is 2 years old and I took a couple of spears this years-fantastic taste fresh.
It is an effort but remember once it's on stream you get 20 years of asparagus - look at the price now and imagine what it will cost in 2028!!

& that's without the taste- I would plant 10 plants to kick off with.

Have fun

:wink: Cheers HH
Keep digging

pushrod

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 00:04 »
I planted 6 crowns in feb of this year and all of them took and 5 of them have been throwing up thick spears all year  :D  Can't wait til next year to start eating. Ideally would like to have planted a couple more but there should be enough for small portions for two, besides too much and your pee smells funny  :lol:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

crowndale

Help with asparagus.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10 »
even a little bit and your pee smells funny!  Its the one downside to asparagus I think!

to answer the question though I think it might be better to wait a year or two before planting a permanent crop on a new plot.  I say this becoz I didn't wait and even though I thought I'd been thorough in the preparation and weed removal I have been removing (perrenial) weeds all year particularly bind weed.  The annuals you'll get anyway but they mostly just pull up but the perrnials need diggin out which is difficult given that this is a permanent crop.  so it would be worth setting aside the space now and giving it a year or two of TLC and weed removal to make sure you are as weed free as possible before planting the crowns.  I planted 16 and I think they have all taken, but have a mix of green and purple asparagus though I think I might have mixed them up when planting them coz they are growing different colours in patchwork rather than blocks!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
Help with asparagus.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:06 »
Hello.  Thanks all for the replies.  I am about 2/3rds through the plot so far.  I have made up 6 raised beds and have already positioned my heap and leaf bins.  

I was planning on putting the bed into a space that has been held potatoes this year.  It is the first piece of plot that  I dug over and I am pretty sure will not cause me any more problems with weed (fingers crossed.)  That will still leave me 5 clear rows of playing space.  

Sounds like I have made up my mind.  :)  My tummy is rumbling now.  Off to find some toast.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 11:54
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 28 queries.