Unknown cucumbers

• 8 Replies

Yabba

Unknown cucumbers
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:19 »
I was given some "Heritage Ball Cucumbers" seeds and being the "if I've got seeds I'll grow some" type I promptly grew some .... unfortunately, I have no idea what they're meant to grow like and when I should pick them .... ohhhh, and I kinda expected them to be the shape of a tennis ball.

Now before all you scream "pictures yabba, pictures" ... and seeing as how I've managed to convince my server that sharing pictures isn't always a bad thing .... here's some pictures :D

This one kinda appeared out of nowhere, amazing how they can hide :

This one is about half the size of the above one :

These ones are babies :

Clicking any of the images should take you to a larger version of them if that helps.

So, my question : Anybody got any idea what these actually are, and any hints as to what they *should* look like when they're ripe would be cool :D

¥

gobs

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:35 »
Hard to say, but Boothy's blond looks similar, it is also an open pollinated heirloom.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Yabba

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 17:38 »
hmmmm. the only picture I've managed to find online is to tiny to tell anything from ... but you're far closer than I've managed to get, thanks :D

The bit that confuses me is that some of them seem to be green from the word go, and others appear to be yellow ( not entirely sure, but there's a possibility that all the green ones are from the same plant ) .. could this be a food / water / disease / variety thing ?

The good news is that my carrots are growing fine :D ... not that I actually like carrots, but anything that's growing without worry is cool with me :D

The next silly question ( I'm blonde, we have millions of them ) is, how the hell do I keep seeds for next year? ... answers in words one syllable or shorter appreciated :D

¥

gobs

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 21:37 »
I don't use long words, unless talking Hungarian, so you should be all right. :lol:

Pleased about the carrots. :D

Bad news is that I did not read your post well enough.

I thought they were diff cukes, sigh, most likely:

a) - not a ball shape is it? :twisted:  to seed
b) - if they start green they are green and should be harvested then for eating
c) - good news: can probably save seed from the big yellowish fellows

Basically - sorry about longish word -, start green, green cuke and most ripen to some shade of yellow, at which stage you can scoop the seeds out and let them dry on a piece of kitchen towel and keep it dark, dry and cool. All one syllables! :tongue2:

People do a lot of other things to seed, I don't , they work fine. Only make sure fruit's a bit overly ripe, sort of soft.

Never seen cukes that ripen to such pale colour though :? , hope you are certain, they are on the same plant. :)

Yabba

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:21 »
Hmmmm, so yer saying "keep growing them and become the expert"? Does this mean I get to give them a new name? :D

I'll keep an eye on the green ones and see if they all develop the same way, and if I can ever work my way through the tangle I'll see if they really are all on the same plant.

I'll try my hand at saving some seed though because I like the idea of free veg ... I mean, saving historic seed for future generations, of course :roll:

I'm slowly learning that I should write down the names of things that I grow instead of just "cucumbers, toms, carrots" ... it's all a learning curve :tongue2:

¥

gobs

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 17:30 »
Might as well. Even though they probably have one, would be really tricky to find out without genetic testing.

I only put the variety on, you can see it's a carrot, no point... :lol:  :lol:

PS: I don't think I heard before someone not liking carrots. :shock:

Yabba

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28 »
Hmmmm, that's a good point ... gonna have to go dream up some fancy sounding latin name now like "cucmis yabbis"

I write "carrot, tom, leek" on, because they're all "small and green" when I come to plant out, and it's kinda useful to remember which "small and green" thing I'm holding ..... although it does look a tad stupid, later on in the year, having a label saying "toms" at the bottom of a 6ft plant covered in toms :tongue2:

I suppose this isn't the time to tell you that I don't like toms either? :roll:

¥

Yabba

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 22:57 »
*bows to the Almighty Gobs*

I told my better half about this thread (she's also blonde) and it must have closed a pathway somewhere in her brain because she said ... "ohhh yeah they're called" .... she went quiet for a tad so I put some ice cubes on her head ... they didn't half steam ... "boothy ....... something"

Close enough, you rock :D

The green ones are changing .... some in a frightening manner ... I can add some more pictures if you want to go for round 2? :roll:

¥

gobs

Unknown cucumbers
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:15 »
Close enough? You mean I didn't say Boothy something? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

By round 2 you mean you have another mystery cucumber to guess at, do you? Donno... :lol:  :lol:

Tasty green something? :wink:

xx
Unknown brassica

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 12:27
by crowndale
xx
Unknown Pest!

Started by crh75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 16:20
by crh75
xx
Unknown herbs

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 11:38
by Snap Dragon
xx
Unknown tree to identify please

Started by angelavdavis on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 20:28
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 36 queries.