selling eggs

• 10 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
selling eggs
« on: August 22, 2008, 14:41 »
Hi again, told my local butcher about our chickens and they said that they would sell any surplus for us! our 3 youngsters were never vacinated against salmonella because we hatched them, the hatchery said they would of got immunity from the parent stock! Can anyone tell me if this is something I need to look into if we sell any surplus eggs??????
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

selling eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 14:48 »
I do not think that this is true unless chicken immunology is profoundly different to that of mammals and each generation needs to be immunised to garentee immunity against salmonella (conversely salmonella can be transmitted to offspring from infected mothers :cry: )
I don't know if it is a legal requirement for chickens to be immunised if you are planning to sell the eggs but you do if you use the lion mark (its what it means). Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
selling eggs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 14:52 »
Hi chickenlady, you can't sell your eggs through a third party, ie butcher, pub, restaurant etc, unless you are registered with DEFRA as a Packing Station.  Then you will only be able to sell grade A eggs, ie no mud or poo on them and no washing.

But you can sell straight from your front gate direct to customer.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
selling eggs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 14:54 »
Thankyou, its all a bit daunting I could also ask the questions whether others vaccinate their reared chicks?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
selling eggs
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 14:56 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Hi chickenlady, you can't sell your eggs through a third party, ie butcher, pub, restaurant etc, unless you are registered with DEFRA as a Packing Station.  Then you will only be able to sell grade A eggs, ie no mud or poo on them and no washing.

But you can sell straight from your front gate direct to customer.

GOD !! thanks for telling me that, the butcher obviously doesnt know their stuff!

GrannieAnnie

selling eggs
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 15:17 »
You're welcome!  Funny, you'd think a butcher would know the rules wouldn't you???

Mind you, you may never get found out, but there would be a lot of trouble if someone bought eggs from the butcher who bought them from you and they got salmonella poisoning!

Whereabouts in Lincs are you?  You shouldn't have any trouble selling them, my girls can't keep up with the demand, so I have to contract in some of my other 'girls' to keep up with demand!!!!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
selling eggs
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 15:39 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
You're welcome!  Funny, you'd think a butcher would know the rules wouldn't you???

Mind you, you may never get found out, but there would be a lot of trouble if someone bought eggs from the butcher who bought them from you and they got salmonella poisoning!

Whereabouts in Lincs are you?  You shouldn't have any trouble selling them, my girls can't keep up with the demand, so I have to contract in some of my other 'girls' to keep up with demand!!!!!
doesnt bare thinking about if that happened we are near spalding i have chatted to you on your chook blog about my babcock! Thanks,it was you that told me about this forum too. are you likely to be getting anymore babcocks this year?

GrannieAnnie

selling eggs
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 15:49 »
Our next lot will be Babcock's hopefully, and they should be arriving mid December to be ready for POL in early April.  Thought we probably had spoken, but couldn't be sure!!!! lol

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
selling eggs
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 17:01 »
There was an excellent article about selling eggs in the Smallhoder magazine this month.

http://www.smallholder.co.uk/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
selling eggs
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 17:05 »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
selling eggs
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 17:35 »
will have a look at those links later, thanks! im being moaned at to get some dinner on the table now bye for now.

question
selling eggs

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 00:19
by jobson336
xx
Selling eggs

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 17:18
by poultrygeist
xx
Selling Eggs?

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 18:09
by alisonwo
xx
selling the eggs

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 37 queries.