any one else's pumpkins going bad

• 18 Replies

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 23:18 »
Had a similar problem with some of my squash  this year with the flowers and small fruit rotting. I read that water (rain) in the female flower can prevent pollination by preventing pollen sticking to the female flower. This tallied with the fact that only my vine plants have been struggling but my bush squash, which have a canopy of leaves stopping rain entering the female flowers, were producing loads of fruit.
I have had some success by putting cut off plastic bottles over the female flowers just before they open to keep out the rain and manually pollinating  when they do open(usually using bush plant male flowers which are also dry and not full of rainwater). This appears to work as flowers treated like this usually set fruit whereas those I don't protect still usually don't.
Hope this is worth a go even though it's getting late in the year for getting big pumpkins.
Jon

Miller

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 13:40 »
I've just had flowers and nothing else yet - did I plant them too late? They were given to me and went in end july?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 11:44 »
I have 3 pumpkin plants grown from seed in a large pot and 1 lovely orange pumpkin on each about the size of footballs. I had lots of smaller ones which looked like they were going to get big but shrivelled and died, now all the leaves have a white mould appearing on them? now the fruit is orange can i pick them or do i have to wait?  :?
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diggerjoe

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 12:35 »
I've never grown them before but wow i'm hooked they are going great I have Potmarron, long island cheese and I think its called green stripe pyjamas or something like that and some turks turban because they looked good in the catalogue- but being a novice when will they be ready?- family say they don't like them, how I do not know as  they've never tried them!!!  :lol:

xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 08:11
by Sadgit
xx
my pumpkins

Started by Storeman on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 10:18
by Bombers

Page created in 0.791 seconds with 36 queries.