How can I get rid of.....

• 19 Replies

Bombers

« on: August 21, 2008, 23:08 »
Catterpillars in my Cauli's?
I'm really proud of my cauli's this year but the're full of catterpillars. My OH has threatened to throw em on the compo unless I can get rid :cry:

I've tried drowning 'em in salty water.
has anyone any good ideas out there? :roll:

Also. One for the girls.... What can I do with this?? :wink:

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:39 »
Impressive cauli, mine all bolted!  Not sure what you can do to be honest though I'm sure someone knows.  porbably for next year prevention is the way to go rather than cure.  mine were covered by enviromesh and while they bolted cause of what I'd done to them (left in pots too long) not one catterpillar to be seen!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04 »
Crowndale said
porbably for next year prevention is the way to go rather than cure. mine were covered by enviromesh and while they bolted cause of what I'd done to them (left in pots too long) not one catterpillar to be seen!

Yes thanks Crowndale, I was thinking about using the 'Debris Netting' I've heard so many folk talk about, but's it's too late now for me. :cry:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41 »
if you soak the cauli in a sink or big pan of salty water the critters should die and rise to the top. Then you can rinse and start cooking

Your missus should be pleased with that lovely cauli. Least it's an organic one which she'd pay a load for at the supermarket  :D

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:46 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
if you soak the cauli in a sink or big pan of salty water the critters should die and rise to the top. Then you can rinse and start cooking

Your missus should be pleased with that lovely cauli. Least it's an organic one which she'd pay a load for at the supermarket  :D

I did that last night, left 'em in the water about 20min or so, but the little critters wouldn't come out. (Had to tease 'em out with a scewer)
OH is sooooooooooooooo scweemish (sp?) So I'm takin' a couple over to the 'olds' thisafternoon. (They will appreciate the extra protein ehh! ) :wink:

sharky

• Experienced Member
Re: How can I get rid of.....
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
Also. One for the girls.... What can I do with this?? :wink:

Eat it?  :scratch:  :salut:  :|  :mrgreen:

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49 »
put more salt in there. Mind you once you drop the cauli in boiling water they'll float to the top then  :D

That's a lovely cauli and should be revered.  Some folk don't know when they're well off  :D  Wish I had a cauli like that, caterpillers or not  :D

Bombers

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53 »
put more salt in there. Mind you once you drop the cauli in boiling water they'll float to the top then  :D

That's a lovely cauli and should be revered.  Some folk don't know when they're well off  :D  Wish I had a cauli like that, caterpillers or not  :D

Thanks CQ, I was really happy with them this year, and I've another 11 of those in the garden, with another dozen or so down the lottie. Me thinks I'll get some nice Stilton this weekend, and knock us up a bit of soup! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:07 »
How many  :shock:   I planted some Aviso with high hopes. They flowered almost immediately  :roll:  So no caulis for me. Got some plants from Marshalls last winter for spring production and not one of those produced as much a floret. Sigh  :(

You can make some good pakora with cauli, say with onion, carrot, courgette, potato. Very easy to make (I think there's a recipe on here somewhere that I posted up)

Tomato, cauliflower and tarragon soup is lovely and v healthy.  I really like cauli and Stilton soup despite hating Stilton.  It makes a gorgeously luxurious soup.

I am so jealous I could spit  :twisted:

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45 »
CQ said
You can make some good pakora with cauli, say with onion, carrot, courgette, potato. Very easy to make (I think there's a recipe on here somewhere that I posted up)

Thanks, that sounds just the ticket, I'll look it up. That's something I've got all fresh ingredients for! :D
The Tomatoes however, now there's another story. I'm putting those down to Bad Weather/ experience. ( I tried your advice with the Mortgage Lifter from Fotherg*lls and I've only just got fruit setting :roll: )
The OH's G. Delight are full of fruit and just turning now. Let's hope for a warmer spell eh! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:52 »
My mortgage lifters have loads of fruit on but none ripe, not one. Mind you neither have any of the other varieties.  I think they will ripen though - eventually if we get some sun  :D

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 18:07 »
Are you going into production for Ann Summers ?
I never knew they did orange ones  :lol:

Bignij

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 18:16 »
despite hating Stilton.  

Heretic. Burn her. :lol:

Bombers

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "Sharon"
Are you going into production for Ann Summers ?
I never knew they did orange ones  :lol:

£18.99 + P&P. Batteries not included! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

jellytot_kt

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 19:57 »
is this the one ann summers are doing to reduce their carbon footprint? ;)

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 36 queries.