Autumn Bliss raspberries not fruiting

• 15 Replies

Chris Ivin

« on: August 21, 2008, 21:43 »
Hi this is my first post on this forum but I have looked in before.

I planted 20 plants of Autumn Bliss raspberries in early Spring 2007, I bought them from Blackmoor Nurseries.  They established very well last year and produced flowers but no fruit, I thought that it was because they had not been established long enough.  This year they have produced masses of vigourous canes 1.5 - 1.8 metres high and have been flowering profusely for the last two monthes but not a single flower has set fruit.  There is no obvious sign of any deficiencies.  There are masses of bees visiting the flowers so pollination should not be an issue.

Has anyone any ideas what might be the problem?

All the best,

Chris

gobs

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 22:18 »
I don't really have much of a clue at the mo. other than pruning problem, possibly. Did you prune at all? As old canes will fruit on and of most year, if you leave them in but don't seem to be too successful at fruiting well. New canes shall start producing nowish, so hopefully, you shall see an improvement, unless you thinned or pruned them out.

Otherwise, as said. :?  :shock:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Chris Ivin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 20:28 »
I pruned the canes down to the ground during last winter so all of the canes are new growth this year.  The problem is that the flowers just do not set fruit, there are plenty of flowers that atttract insects a plenty but they just dry up after a few days.  It's a real mystery.:scratch:

I wondered whether the material acquired from the nursery is sterile but I would have thought that there would then be a lot of other people with the same problem.

Chris

gobs

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 21:47 »
Drying up, hooh. Any chance you could post some photos of the plants, that all of their parts can be seen? Just as DD aptly put it, saves asking loads and loads of questions and also saves getting side tracked on the wrong train.

I suppose they are not dry. The nursery is good and I would not expect getting sterile plants from them, of course things happen... First year is all right, but second is dodgie. Saying that, I had one cane of me dozen planted that looked dead for 2 seasons and then... You think I'm telling a lie, sounds it, but I'm not. :lol:

How did you plant them, a bit of history might help, too.

Chris Ivin

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 21:47 »
Trying again, I hope that this works this time!

This photo was taken last week

Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 18:52 by Aunt Sally »

gobs

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 17:26 »
Quote from: "Chris Ivin"
I hope that this works, this photo was taken last week

Chris

Not for me...

Chris Ivin

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 21:27 »
I've edited the link to the image, it seems to be working now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 01:11 »
Can't help with your problem but my Mum's autumn raspberries (which produced plenty of fruit last year) have hardly any fruits on this year!  :?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:30 »
I know you said there are plenty of bees around the plant ... but it does look like the fruit hasn't been pollenated. Just guessing here, though, so could be wrong!

gobs

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 21:37 »
Now I might be imagining things, but in the top, browning flowers there seem to be some green druplets of some fruitlet - nothing like a raspberry -, can you confirm that? Does anybody else see them?

If that's so, pollination happens and they are not sterile.

Either the pollination is inadaquate or you can have a virus. Or something else, I do not know about... :lol:

I can't see sign of anything in that photo that would have such consequences but you should check for larvae and bugs in flowers too, just to make sure.

Re: Autumn Bliss raspberries not fruiting
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 11:48 »
Was there any improvement in your plants this year - did you get any raspberries?

I have the same problem with my raspberry plant on my roof terrace in London. These are in a large planter with plenty of compost, feed and water. Other plants seems fine and are fruiting, but is no fruit on the raspberry plant. The plant produced many flowers, but no fruit, now these heads have dried up. Very similar to the photo above. I did see some berries starting to form, but only a couple. Any more ideas?

Thanks!
si - new here

tode

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 12:05 »
Have you had a lot of rain during the flowering period?  I find that this has a bad effect on fruiting.

Chris Ivin

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 18:12 »
I dug them up last winter, never did get any fruit.  I planted a new variety in their place (name has deserted me at the moment), plenty of fruit now!!!

Chris

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 23:56 »
It MIGHT be stamen blight which affects rasps and blackberries (carried by spores.) Or as someone else said....maybe you're watering too much and the blossom is rotting/mildewing. I've got "Polka" which is bred from "Autumn Bliss" and they like it quite dry.

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 00:14 »
I suspect it is drought. No rain here for a month and you are further south. Blackberries in the hedges look the same.

xx
Autumn Bliss raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 16:46
by BARNACLE BILL
xx
Autumn bliss raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2014, 09:56
by mumofstig
xx
autumn bliss raspberries

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 21:48
by DD.
xx
Buy Autumn bliss raspberries

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 19:31
by barley

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 36 queries.