Kid's stuff

• 15 Replies

traceyr

Kid's stuff
« on: August 19, 2008, 15:09 »
I just felt I should put a little note on about kids being involved.

We have a 3 yr old who adores my plot - she runs into to check the strawberries (all gone - in her tum!  :cry: ), say hello to the courgettes and to pick the cherry toms.

Why can't we keep them this enthusiastic for ever!!!  Trying to get my 14yr old down there now is like trying to strike oil!!

Any tips on how to keep her going?????
Tracey ;) OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  Somebody's watching me!!!!!!!

SalJ1980

Kid's stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 15:34 »
Help her to plant some of her own seeds so she watch them grow and take care of them herself...cherry tomatoes and peas maybe? And how about sunflowers - she'll love watching them get taller than she is!
Sal

Organic...so far!

traceyr

Kid's stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 15:45 »
That won't be difficult (the sunflowers I mean!) - she might have been a bruiser when born (10lb 11oz!) but she's so petite now!

SalJ1980

Kid's stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 15:46 »
OUCH!  :shock:

traceyr

Kid's stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 16:02 »
I know!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband felt no pain though so therefore there was none!  Bless his ignorance!

crowndale

Kid's stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 16:25 »
thought mine were big at 9 and 91/2!  obviously not that big!  but again both small now as adults.  strange.  ben was big til he was 13 then stopped growing and daughter was also tall for her age til she hit puberty at 11 and is now short at 5'2".  they both blame me for it, short genes!  neither of them like the lottie either though I do take foster bubs down and she is getitng used to it but is only 6 months old so a bit small to be digging yet!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

matron

Kid's stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 16:33 »
I agree with SalJ1980 - give her a little plot of her own that she can tend. Having recently read Terry Waltons 'Life on the Allotment' and just started Diggers Diary both these people started on an allotment with their relatives and then took on their own.
(5lb8oz and 7lb8oz for mine - now 5ft 8 and 5ft 11  :wink: )

traceyr

Kid's stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 16:34 »
Are they ever too young???  

Boo (Katie) loves just sitting in a freshly dug patch and digging holes with own tiny tools!!!  The muckier she gets the happier she is!

The saying 'a mucky kid is a happy kid' is sooooo true in my opinion.  When my hubbie became a childminder OFSTED said NNNNOOOOOOOOO to soils and dirty stuff - no wonder kids can be so sickly today!

GreenOwl

Kid's stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 16:58 »
I wish I knew how to keep them interested.

I wasn't allowed to plant my runner beans because my 3-year-old HAD to do it yet my 8-year-old has no interest at all, despite being given the sunniest end of my veg plot to grow stuff herself.  Thinking of giving the patch to the 3-year-old!

Mind you they'll both raid the raspberries, peas, strawberries etc.  :D

blue_cortina

Kid's stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 17:13 »
Quote from: "GreenOwl"
I wish I knew how to keep them interested.

I don't know but I find that not trying too often helps and it helps when you yourself get exicited about it. What kid could resist running up the garden if you shouted down the garden - our first tomato has gone red and then jumping up and down like a mad thing!

Definately give them something that is theirs - mine are growing potatos in buckets - one bucket each with their name one... they are rightly proud of them - Of course I have to do most of the watering ;-) but they'll help by doing most of the eating so it's only fair.

Last year they grew their own carrots and pulled them washed them and eat them raw  in the garden - never got as far as the kitchen :-)

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
Kid's stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 17:29 »
We gave our three boys a small plot each and let them choose what they wanted in them, we also gave them each a pumpkin plant so they could grow their own for hallowe'en  :D  They love eating their own produce and comparing their pumpkins  :D
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Kid's stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 17:43 »
I have to agree with the wife - Katie loves the garden.  It really tugged at the heartstrings to see her in the greenhouse the other day!

She usually comes home dirtier than any veg that gets home!
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

gobs

Kid's stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 18:17 »
Apart from all the tips, everybody has a weakness, there must be some aspect she is interested in, only you can find out, other than that, there is little you can do, as on the face of it, not everybody likes to garden. :wink:

My little girl is one of those, she even hates picking stuff, whatever that be, unless it's for her personal consumption on the spot, of course. :lol:

But: loves building stuctures, polies, cloches, frames. 'Constructing traps' for the foxes and pigeons she has been for years and I let her... :roll:

As long as she is happy to be there...

Does yours like cooking, shopping, design...? You might find a way to get her involved, it does not need to be weeding!

Good luck. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WoodyK

Kid's stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 21:27 »
my 3 year old loves eating carrots so i took her to the garden centre and let her choose some carrot seeds. we took them home and i let her plant them. now she runs out everyday to check her carrots. She also likes to help mummy check the tomatoes, courgettes and cucumbers.

She also loves to help me with the chickens.

No idea whether this will continue when she gets older but just letting her do what she wants at the moment and see what happens

chickchick

Kid's stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 21:38 »
my 3 kids love growing stuff and now they want to sell it outside the house! they are nearly 3, 8 and 11, and they all have a little space to grow veggies of their own! son whos 11 is the most keen, hes always weeding his plot and yesterday harvested his cress and lettuce for his egg sarnie!! (from his chicken of course!!)

xx
What to do with the stuff I've dug out!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 12:25
by diggerjoe
xx
Price of stuff

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 14:11
by flatcap
xx
Stuff's actually growing

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 00:12
by Dan78
xx
Silty stuff

Started by TurfSmurf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 18:45
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 37 queries.