Tomato Plants - Are they poisonous?

• 12 Replies

EggBound

« on: August 18, 2008, 20:10 »
Hi Everyone
I'm new to this - the coop is arriving tomorrow and I hope to have three layers end of next week.  I'm sure I read somewhere that tomato leaves are poisonous to chickens.  I have 2 plants in the garden.  Do I need to move them out of reach, or are chickens clever enough to leave them alone?  :?

chickchick

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 21:15 »
welcome eggound, you've just the nicest, friendliest forum, i have 6 chickens and about 25 tomato plants and they havent touched them!! not sure about whether they are poisonous, but someone on here will reply soon im sure.
good luck with the chickens, its brillant, ive had 3 chickens for 4 weeks and added 3 more about 10 days ago!
which type are you going to go for?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 21:23 »
I also think that tomatoe leaves are poisonous. Same family as potatoes which are poisonous however my ducks really don't go for either (or the poisonous rhubarb leaves). Think they are probably smarter than we give them credit for :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

EggBound

Tomato plants - are they poisonous?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 21:41 »
Thanks for that.  I was a bit worried where I was going to put them.  Local supplier has Black Maran hybrids, Sussex Stars, Daisie Bells, Blue Bells and Rhode Stars.  I have no idea which would be best - any advice would be welcomed.  Fences only about 5 feet high and not sure how the neighbours would take to stray chickens!   :D

chickchick

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 21:45 »
i have a blue belle,(ruby) and shes my favourite, shes smart, elegant, beautiful and nosey and shes also the best layer so far and the quickest to lay too. i have 6 different types and i must say they are all lovely, but uby has the edge!

weatherwax

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:03 »
I've got one Blue bell in with my Black rocks and I've got to say she is the big personality, she's nosey, cheeky, friendly and lays like a good 'un  :D
"Dock-a-loodle-fod!"

-- Dyslexic roosters are a sad sight

conventgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:34 »
My girls have eaten most of my potato leaves and then started on the rhubarb!!  They have also been eating my chillis, peppers, brussels and lettuce but the tomatos dont seem to be on their favourite list  :)

niknik

poisonous plants
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 15:15 »
Hi
If your chickens are eating your potatoe plants etc am I right to think that they are not poisonous?  We have potatoe, rubarb and tomato plants where we intend to put the chickens when they arrive in two weeks, we were going to remove all these but now I am not so sure.  
Also I have been advised to put a tea bag in some water for them in addition to normal drinking water as it controls for internal parasites; can anyone tell me if this is correct or not.
Many thanks
Nik

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 17:58 »
my lottie neighbour has about 40 hens who have completely stripped the leaves off a couple of stray potato plants (catch crop from a prev year - they were'nt wandering around  :roll: ) and they are all OK.

I read on here that hens will try anything once and if it's not nice / gives them a bad belly they'll remember and not eat it again.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 19:02 »
My hens destroyed my rhubarb plant by eating all of the leaves and they are fine - also they do nibble my tomato leaves but again they seem fine.

I agree that they tend to know what to eat and what not to eat. More sensible than me then!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 19:10 »
I've also heard that because of the oxalic (sp?) acid in the rhubarb leaves (which is poisonous) that they are a useful natural wormer for hens - possibly because the acid breaks down the worms or something.

Bodger

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 19:14 »
Tomato plants are poisonous but i've never known any chickens to touch them, so I wouldn't worry. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 21:19 »
My chooks at the bottom leaves off my toms this year.  They seemed to like them.  I had to put a mesh barrier around them.

xx
poisonous plants

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 08:28
by lukasmum
xx
poisonous plants

Started by westie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 14, 2007, 09:43
by Selkie
xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 19:07
by SoniaBA
xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 37 queries.