Poor onions

• 7 Replies

Allotment Angel

Poor onions
« on: August 18, 2008, 16:42 »
Hi.  Anybody else having problems with onions this year?  I grown them for a couple of years now and always had a good crop of decent sized onions.  This year however, they have hardly grown at all  :( .  They are in part of the allotment that I haven't grown onions in before.  I've tried to keep them weed free and water as normal but they look tiny still.  Next year should I try putting them somewhere on the plot which I will have  manured this autumn?  I seem to think they have followed on from beans in the past couple of years, maybe they are missing the nitrogen?  Any ideas?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Poor onions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 17:11 »
My onions are not doing well either, I usually grow from seed in modules but think I'll try sets next year. Beans add nitrogen to the soil if you dig the roots in.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matron

Poor onions
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 19:58 »
Ours look  OK. A bit thick in the neck but the bulbs look alright. We grew from sets and didn't get them in until beginning of May so hopefully will be ready in the next 2 -3 weeks.  :)
I am going to do some over winter ones and get them in round about October.

johnhar

Poor onions
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 20:50 »
had the worse crop of main onions that i have grown for years only ¼ the crop that i had last year and quite small too. seed was planted at the same time and planted out the same day as 2007, dont know what went wrong.
planted some of the same plants that i had spare 4 weeks later & they are really good onions, still growing with lovely green tops.
john

SalJ1980

Poor onions
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 21:03 »
Mine went in from sets at the end of May, a bit late but that's when I got my plot! They are doing OK, nice and big now and the tops are starting to topple over and look at bit yellow so they can't have long to go now...
Sal

Organic...so far!

gobs

Poor onions
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 21:17 »
I'm not complaining either and mine were late, too, with what the spring was like... :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

hammers07

Poor onions
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 21:32 »
i have had a good crop but they were small. i put it down to the source which was via the internet. last year got them from garden centre and they were a good size. I've had similar problem,s with cabbage,cauli and calabrese bought over internet. Wouild advise people to avoid and go to the garden centre, or grow your own from seed.
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

Elcie

Poor onions
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 21:42 »
Quote from: "hammers07"
i have had a good crop but they were small. i put it down to the source which was via the internet. last year got them from garden centre and they were a good size. I've had similar problem,s with cabbage,cauli and calabrese bought over internet. Wouild advise people to avoid and go to the garden centre, or grow your own from seed.

Agree with you there.  I have done a mixture of seed/garden centre/ebay and the ebay ones were by far the worst.  Think it is to do with the postage rather than initial quality.

xx
Those poor onions

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 09:20
by potatogrower
xx
Poor onions

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 06:10
by Growster...
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.