blue spray and cutting feathers

• 4 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« on: August 17, 2008, 17:59 »
does anyone know if duphacycline spray (oxytetracycline and blue marker dye) is safe for birds? it doesnt say on the can wither way....i use it for horses but it is actually marketed mainly for sheep. (it is a topicasl antibiotic for minor cuts and grazes etc in livestock and specifically foot rot in sheep)

also, lucky has some damaged feathers on her bum after she was attacked...because her lergs are a bit weak she is sitting a lot and they are getting a bit minging with poo. is it ok to cut them off so i can keep her clean?

any advice appreciated! :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 18:33 »
Hi ceri.

I don't know about the spray but it sounds like purple spray. If that's the case then it's widely used but better wait for a second opinion from someone who actually knows stuff  :roll:

Could you try bathing her with warm water and, if necessary, a drop or 2 of baby shampoo ?
Apparently it helps. Failing that, I don;t think trimming them back a bit will do her any harm other than giving her a cold bum  :shock:

Rob 8)

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 18:47 »
LOL thanks poutrygeist

i'm laughing cos theres only about 6 feathers left on her bum....she looks like shes benn plucked from the waist back! so i dont think she'll notice the difference temperature wise!
how close to her body should i cut them? they are maybe 5-6" long, but the shafts on some are damage

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 18:55 »
I would guess, as far as you can safely do so. I've never trimmed feathers so I don't actually know.

I know when you clip their wings, you have to avoid the pink bits in the quill. Not sure if that also applies to their other feathers.

You'd better hang around for an informed opinion just in case.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 19:02 »
Think it depends on the type of feathers
if they are the bum fluffly type I've done it with my buff orps ad not had a problem, left a tiny bit on the ends.

If they're big feathers stear clear of the pink bit like Rob says :)

xx
Spray

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:41
by Cal_Leghorn
xx
Purple spray?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 17:38
by pink-chicken
xx
pecking spray

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 21:04
by susan - happy hens
xx
Frontline spray

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:22
by Anndee

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 28 queries.