Getting going with fruit

• 4 Replies

Knoblauch

Getting going with fruit
« on: August 16, 2008, 22:06 »
I have a 6ftx6ft patch at the northernmost point of my south-facing garden which I want to develop as a fruit section.  I was worried that there might be masonry or rubble underneath it but now I've got round to digging it over tonight using the trench method it is all lovely black soil, and having dug a spade-depth trench already could go another one down with no obstruction.

I want to plant an espalier apple tree as it can use the fence to go along the patio, a garden centre advised to wait until Nov for this when they will have ready-trained maiden trees in stock - at a price.  But is there anything I can be planting now in the way of bushes, is it a suitable time of year?  How much space should I leave between bushes?  Things I'd like to grow are blackcurrants and gooseberries though if there's space I'll try a few more.  The garden centre in question gives you your money back if what you buy dies within a year so you can afford to be adventurous.

Trillium

Getting going with fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:48 »
6ft x 6ft isn't a lot of space for a number of plants. The espalier will need as much sun and air as possible to do well at all, which means anything close to it shouldn't grow too tall. Black currants in good soil can reach close to 4ft at maturity, same with gooseberries. And I wouldn't even consider raspberries in that small a patch. Consider what height your intended espalier would be then decide if you can keep a blackcurrant under control in that space. It will make an eventual spread of about 3 ft wide and need a bit of space between plants, so the most you could possibly plant is 2, one at each end of the 'block' with the espalier in the middle at the back.

Knoblauch

Getting going with fruit
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:43 »
Thanks trillium.  The sun did peep through the clouds briefly today and the fence will get a fair bit, except I just cut the top off a tree/creeper which had been growing along the fence opposite and casting some shade.  There's room on the patio for more fruit in pots which it sounds like might be wise from what you say.

November seems to be when new stock is avaiable so I'll get some on order for then from one of the partner sites advertised here.

Trillium

Getting going with fruit
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 22:43 »
If you have patio space, then potted fruit would be the best way. Get the largest pot size you can manage, afford and fit on the patio and mostly fill it with good soil, some compost and peat or coir. Be sure the base has some drainage holes first. Black currants or gooesberries will happily grow in these but they'll need regular watering and feeding to keep them strong. But worth it for the crops you'll get.

Knoblauch

Getting going with fruit
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 13:12 »
Just noticed your reply - there are 2 threads on this topic current so prob useful to others too.

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 26 queries.