carrot leaves dying

• 7 Replies

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
carrot leaves dying
« on: August 16, 2008, 13:55 »
I'm growing carrots in compost in tubs and they were doing very well but now some of the plants have dead foliage with little black grains on them. I can't see anything moving on them but the leaves have just gone brown and dried out. Any ideas what's causing it?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
carrot leaves dying
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 14:07 »
Are the grains you refer to on the leaves, or the carrots themselves?

Are they grains or threads?

Have you kept them watered, even more so than with raised bed, tubs need to be kept watered.

And the age old question - "Have you got a photo?".  It saves asking many. many, questions.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
carrot leaves dying
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 19:17 »
Sorry, I took a photo but couldn't get it to download. The tubs might have dried but its only a few plants in each pot affected so I don't think thats the problem. Its not affecting the roots but the leaves have dried out completely on some plants and on others one frond will be dried out but others fine. The grains are on the dead leaves not the healthy ones its like tiny little black grit I thought it might be minibeast poo but I can't find a culprit and nothing seems eaten! I've tried googling but am no wiser :?Hey I did it! sorry the pickie is a bit big but not bad for a first attempt!

agapanthus

carrot leaves dying
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 22:19 »
It looks as if somethings has been pour or spilt on them.
Could it be dog pee? Just a thought....'cos my lovely little puppy has been pooing and peeing  on our carrots which are in a long trough....looks the same :(

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
carrot leaves dying
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57 »
Thanks for the thought but no dogs round here just kids! Also there are four tubs spread all over the garden, one of them is even down the side of the house and really out of the way and all but the youngest batch are affected.
I think I'll try my organic bug spray just in case the grains are poo - can't hurt.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
carrot leaves dying
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 18:44 »
Have you checked for signs of the dreaded carrot root fly

gobs

carrot leaves dying
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 21:40 »
Could be some leaf blight. What are these grains, I can't see them, any close-ups? :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
carrot leaves dying
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:28 »
I've pulled one up this morning and no sign of root fly but after a good rummage around in the middle did find a few very tiny catterpillar like things only about 2-3mm long. I can't see why the whole leaf would die from a nibble but it would explain the black grains. I did spray with my organic stuff but it rained heavily last night so I expect it's washed off.

xx
Cucumber leaves dying

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 14:00
by sclarke624
xx
potato leaves dying!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 22:51
by davejg
xx
Here we go again-whitening leaves and dying

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 23:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potato leaves dying

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 10:48
by JayG

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 36 queries.