Apple and Blackberry Jam

• 8 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« on: August 14, 2008, 17:44 »
Well today i have made my first batch of Apple and Blackberry jelly, tastes a bit too sweet but i'll have to test it properly on some toast in the morning.

I think i am going to get the bug now, I'd love to make some Raspberry or strawberry jam but im not so sure that its as easy and i think its actually going to work out quite expensive.  What sort of money should i pay for the fruit (hoping to find some PYO still, assuming its cheaper to do it that way).

Can anyone recommend a fruit farm in Essex?

Any onther helpful advice gratefully received.

drdave

Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 19:23 »
I did my first Jam this year with a couple of kilos of last years frozen Raspberries, a kilo of preserving sugar and a dollop of certo. I boiled the lot up for 30 mins or so and it set nicely. The most fruity tart jam!Delicious :lol: . The frozen friut broke down easily and might be cheaper?

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:02 »
I hadn't really thought about buying frozen, I'll have to look at how much it would cost.

I looked around on the net last night and a lot of people dont use any sort of "Certo" i guess you just have to boil it right down until the natural pectin sets it, i thought you could only do this with certain fruits especially Blackberries but apparantly a lot of people use the same method for most fruits.

Debz

Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:28 »
You can buy sugar in the supermarket for using with soft fruits like strawberries and raspberries that don't have enough pectin in them.  Don't boil it too long or you will end up with toffee instead!.. If I am doing jam I use equal quantities of sugar and fruit and it comes out just fine.

Debz

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 19:41 »
I did my first jam this year - raspberry and  blackberries (we call them brambles up north!)  I used the microwave receipe from this site - so simple and quick.  25 minutes from start to finish!  Brillant.

I have frozen raspberries, so willcontinue to make as it is used up.

matron

Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 20:21 »
Quote from: "Debz"
You can buy sugar in the supermarket for using with soft fruits like strawberries and raspberries that don't have enough pectin in them.  Don't boil it too long or you will end up with toffee instead!.. If I am doing jam I use equal quantities of sugar and fruit and it comes out just fine.

Debz

I can second the toffee thing  :oops:  :oops: I have got some blackcurrant toffee. I use the saucer method for checking setting point but I seem to miss it.  :(

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 22:12 »
I'm going to attempting jam for the first time this year...Bramble Jelly is my main plan. We keep picking blackberries then freezing them in trays ready to use  :D  I can't wait to give it a try!
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 17:44 »
I made some Bramble jelly today, i went out with my plastic tub and picked about 4lb of blackberries, cooked them down last night then used the juice to make the jelly today, tasted good but to get a proper taste it needs to go on toast with a good cuppa.  Tomorrow i will test it properly.  It only cost me a bag of sugar so that has to taste brill!!

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
Apple and Blackberry Jam
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "janiejakemum"
I made some Bramble jelly today, i went out with my plastic tub and picked about 4lb of blackberries, cooked them down last night then used the juice to make the jelly today, tasted good but to get a proper taste it needs to go on toast with a good cuppa.  Tomorrow i will test it properly.  It only cost me a bag of sugar so that has to taste brill!!

Lol I like your thinking! I can't wait till I have enough in to get started on mine, I love Bramble Jelly!

xx
Which blackberry ?

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 16:39
by tode
xx
blackberry or currant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 13:52
by mdjlucan
xx
Blackberry Bush

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 22:15
by solway cropper
xx
blackberry supports

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 11:26
by splodger

Page created in 0.798 seconds with 36 queries.