Mange tout

• 4 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Mange tout
« on: August 13, 2008, 19:14 »
urgh... blanched and froze loads, but they are horrible and watery once cooked/steamed for a min or so... did I do something wrong or do they just not freeze well?

wighty

Mange tout
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 21:33 »
I found out the same thing last year, sugarsnaps freeze okey but mangetout don't.  Have got fed up with having mangetout with every meal as this year they went mental.  Fortunately they have now finished and have pulled them out.  I bet by about Feb we will be suffering mangetout withdrawal symptoms.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Mange tout
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 21:46 »
I'm giving them away because they don't freeze. I am surprised Wighty finds sugar snap ok for freezing. I tries them just recently and when I thawed one, I squeezed it gently and water poured out. I tried one without blanching but it was no better.
Luckily, we all like mangetout stir fried and have them 3 times a week mixed with other things.

mashauk

Mange tout
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 22:39 »
They're not so bad if you use them in stews etc after freezing, just not so great stir fried.  I keep a bowl of sugarsnaps and mangetout in the fridge and like them raw in salads, or just as a snack.  I know you're supposed to eat them quickly, so, I do!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Mange tout
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:56 »
Ahh cool.. at least it isn't just mine. I might make mange tout soup from them instead :)

xx
Freezing mange-tout

Started by Bernard on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 09:53
by Bernard

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 36 queries.