Hens

• 14 Replies

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« on: August 12, 2008, 20:57 »
I have eight hens and for the last few months I am only getting seven eggs, can some kind person tell me how can you tell wich hen is not laying. :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 20:59 »
Do you mean 7 per day.

That's very good from 8 hens !!!

Do pop up to the welcome forum and introduce yourself :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Hens
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 22:12 »
Hi nogger,   It would be very difficult to know which hen is not laying, since most hens won't lay an egg EVERY day  :shock:

it's likely that it's different hens all of the time; having a day off as it were!

short of locking them all up individually for days on end I don't think you'll ever know if it's just one hen not performing or if it's a few hens that have the occasional day off.  

What would be the outcome if you did find out it was just one chook?  :shock:

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 22:44 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Do you mean 7 per day.

That's very good from 8 hens !!!

Do pop up to the welcome forum and introduce yourself :D

yes 7 per day and I have just added 5 more new piont of lays too them and it seems as if there is a battle for the pecking order.

you will have to excuse me Aunt Sally but this type of thing I am doing on the pc is completely new to me,ive been trying to find out where the  welcome forum tab is :)

Kate and her Ducks

Hens
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 22:49 »
I'd been here for about 2 months before I found it. Seemed a bit late by that point :oops:
If you go to Home and then forums you will find the welcome forum there :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Porffor

Hens
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 23:07 »
Hi and Welcome! :)
What size is your run, or do your chooks freerange? Just wondering if the pecking order squabbles are because there are so many of them in a run too small for them. Please don't think me rude, just wondering.

Are you around during the day to watch the laying order? Sometimes you can tell who's laying that way, but 7 a day is not bad at all! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hens
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54 »
Quote from: "Nogger"

you will have to excuse me Aunt Sally but this type of thing I am doing on the pc is completely new to me,ive been trying to find out where the  welcome forum tab is :)

Click on this link  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewforum.php?f=12

and then on the New Topic button

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:09 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
What size is your run, or do your chooks freerange? Just wondering if the pecking order squabbles are because there are so many of them in a run too small for them. Please don't think me rude, just wondering.

Are you around during the day to watch the laying order? Sometimes you can tell who's laying that way, but 7 a day is not bad at all! :)

hi Porffor thanks for your cocern and kind welcome; their run is 4met square,but according to form this does happen as nature takes its course, after aprox a week they should all settle down.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:11 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
I'd been here for about 2 months before I found it. Seemed a bit late by that point :oops:
If you go to Home and then forums you will find the welcome forum there :lol:

cheer's K&D I will give that a try

Porffor

Hens
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:17 »

hi Porffor thanks for your cocern and kind welcome; their run is 4met square,but according to form this does happen as nature takes its course, after aprox a week they should all settle down.

Do you have 13 hens in total in that run? Just that it's recommended to have 1 sq metre per bird, at the minimum and 2 sq metre if you can.
This may be responsible for the behaviour but as you say may just be pecking order being established.
Would be wise to extend your run though if I have done my maths right and you have 13 hens in there. I'm assuming they are medium-large in size.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hens
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:17 »
Do they ever come out of their run?  4ms isn't a lot for 8 hens, perhaps they are a bit overcrowded??

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:20 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Hi nogger,   It would be very difficult to know which hen is not laying, since most hens won't lay an egg EVERY day  :shock:

it's likely that it's different hens all of the time; having a day off as it were!

short of locking them all up individually for days on end I don't think you'll ever know if it's just one hen not performing or if it's a few hens that have the occasional day off.  

What would be the outcome if you did find out it was just one chook?  :shock:

Hi S&S, well there is one that doesn't look too good,but I don't want to do anythink drastic and it is two years older than the other's,so it could be time to say bye bye  :)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Hens
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:27 »

............ive been trying to find out where the  welcome forum tab is :)

Click on this link  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewforum.php?f=12

and then on the New Topic button

ER I did not know that eggsisted.  SHould I post a hello message there now  :lol:  or do you think people know who I am now?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Hens
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29 »

Do you have 13 hens in total in that run? Just that it's recommended to have 1 sq metre per bird, at the minimum and 2 sq metre if you can.
This may be responsible for the behaviour but as you say may just be pecking order being established.
Would be wise to extend your run though if I have done my maths right and you have 13 hens in there. I'm assuming they are medium-large in size.

they only go into the run at evening times, during the day they have the free run of my allotment and that is aprox 20yds x 50yds, i have already got the gear for extending.

Porffor

Hens
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:33 »
ahh good stuff :) sorry was assuming they were in the run all the time. :) That's cool you're allowed to freerange hens on allotments. :D

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 37 queries.