confused about crop rotation.

• 3 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« on: August 12, 2008, 18:05 »
Am a bit confused about the finer points of rotation as this is my first year of veg growing. Sorry if this is a daft question, by the way.

I only have 3 veg beds, I have grown leeks, onions and beans in one bed and broccoli and spuds in the one bed earlier this year. I only just built the third bed so still clearing the weeds.

I have ordered onions, shallots and garlic sets to be planted this autumn, I intend to put these all in bed one (when spuds are are lifted).  Does this mean that if i want to plant more onions in spring next year these can't go in either of the 2 beds I already have planted up. :oops:

Probably a bit too late to ask now, but how successful are autumn planted onions ?

Also where should I plant carrots or can they go in with anything, so long as they aren't in same place they've been in previous year.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.  :D

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 21:13 »
Its not easy to rotate by the book when you only have 3 beds.

The idea behind rotation is to grow crops together that need the same conditions and to avoid any build up of plant specific diseases/pests in a single location as a result of regularly growing the same crop  or crop family in one place.

That being said there are people who always grow onions in the same bed year after year.

With 3 beds, space to put your next crop will be the main driver. Keep records of where in the bed you grew something and just try if possible to avoid repetition. But if it comes down to a choice of repeat or not grow I would repeat.

Autumn sown onions sets have advantages over spring sown:
The ground is easier to work and warm so they get a good start
They are less susceptible to bolting
They mature earlier so you can get them out and get a late crop of dwarf beans in the same place

downside is that they have to stand the winter wet - not much different to the spring sown ones this year then!!!

Cleo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 21:28 »
Well....

Don't panic :-) crops will grow even if you don't rotate them. You rotate to avoid build up of disease and  break the cycle of certain pests.
It's not the end of the world if a legume follows a legume or you grow your onions in the same place for two consecutive years.

There are three main veg groups. The whole idea is that no member of a group should follow another of the same group on the same patch of land.

Shuffling things round gets you a gap of three years between successive crops.

1. Legumes

Beans and Peas
   Also
   Tomatoes, peppers,celery,celeriac and squashes

2. Brassicas

cabbage,cauli,radishes, broccolli, swedes, turnips, chinese cabbage etc

3. Roots

carrots, parsnips,beetroot, spinach, chard, onions, leeks, garlic, potatoes

The main rule of rotation :

Brassicas follow legumes ...because they use the nitrogen fixed in the soil by legume roots.

So...

Year one....

Bed 1.  Legumes
       2. Brassicas
       3. Roots

Year two

Bed 1. Brassica
       2. Roots
       3 . Legumes

Year three

Bed 1. Roots
       2. Legumes
       3. Brassica

Then back to year one. If it gets confusing draw out a plan and stick it in the shed BUT remember you are only limiting the pests by rotating and
failure to do so for one season will most likely do no harm.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 21:46 »
Thanks waddecar and cleo, sound advice. I think I may have been a bit overconcerned, as you say with only 3 beds I shall have to compromise a little, but do rotation whenever I can.

With the weather as wet as it has been in yorks ( and i expect the rest of the country), should i leave the onions that are maturing now in the beds or pull them early and see is they will dry off and keep ok in the house.

xx
Confused about rotation

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 19:09
by peapod
xx
crop rotation

Started by Truffle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 09:07
by stompy
xx
crop rotation???

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 11:51
by compostqueen
xx
crop rotation

Started by wayne170534 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 18:25
by Ian_A

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 36 queries.