Seed compost????

• 11 Replies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« on: January 29, 2007, 22:18 »
I sowed some onons and some leeks earlier this month in multi purpose compost. I have since bought some B&Q seed compost on offer at 2 x 55litre bags for £5 (one bag costs £4.98). What I want to know is will it make any difference??? I know that seed conpost tends to be smaller particles but my multi purpose sowings seem to be doing ok?? What does everyone think?
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

muntjac

Seed compost????
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 22:20 »
use what ya got n dont worry , before the composts stuff was invented ,, we just threw em down n bobs ur anty  :wink:
still alive /............

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 22:27 »
Yeh I think sometimes the advice gets a bit scientific. At the end of the day most plants have managed to self germinate for several hundred years without assistance. As long as they grow thats fine with me!

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 22:28 »
Seed compost contains hardly any nutrients - the seeds themselves contain everything the germinating plant needs.

Multi purpose compost will usually have balanced NPK. Seeds in compost that contains nutrients will do just as well.

But you will usually pay a bit more for the multipurpose stuff.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 22:35 »
The multi purpose stuff I had just lying around so used it anyway. Was only when I got to B&Q that I realised they had a compost for every eventuality. :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Seed compost????
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 23:04 »
That's so they can blind you with science to get you to part with more money skywalker!   :wink:

muntjac

Seed compost????
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 23:05 »
in deep dusky voice ... feel them stealing your wallet skywalker  argshhhhhhhhe shhh heavy breathing bit there  :lol:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Seed compost????
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:20 »
It all depends on what you are trying to sow. True seed compost is normally of finer grade so smaller seedlings can push through with less resistance, and should be sterilised. Normal potting or multi-purpose composts are not usually sterile and contain strong fertiliser componants that can burn.

For run-of-the-mill seeds like peas, beans, courgettes etc the cheaper mixes are as good as any other but it is not uncommon these days to spend a £1 ea on seeds and these ought to have decent compost.

For my own general use, I recycle last years potting compost, which is itself home-made from garden compost mixed with sharp sand and some garden soil. However, if I grow anything rare or expensive, or want to carry out a trial or other experiment I will always use John Innes No.1 for seed sowing.

It's horses for courses.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:09 »
Purely for convenience, Arthur Bowers with John Innes here. I do a lot of sowing in modules indoors and take a bag up to my 3rd floor kitchen, enough for a season's sowing :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Seed compost????
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 09:10 »
Just don't use grow bag compost for seeds as the higher than average nutrient content can "burn" the seedlings delicate roots.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Annie

Seed compost????
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45 »
I have always used peatfree multipurpose,initially through ignorance but I carry on because I have never had any problems.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Seed compost????
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 17:46 »
Thanks. Have picked up some seed compost now in which i am going to sow some leeks 2night. Got so much work to do on the plot  I don't know where 2 start. May have to enlist the help of a couple of droids! :lol:

xx
Seed compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 11:40
by mumofstig
xx
B+Q Seed Compost

Started by Silverpaul on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 23:43
by Yorkie
xx
Seed Compost

Started by cathangirl on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 17:53
by fletcherbaker
xx
Seed compost

Started by RuthinBrum on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 23:16
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 36 queries.