why sudden leaf drop in peppers?

• 5 Replies

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:52 »
Any advice please? Hints? Tips? My (sweet) peppers have suddenly had enormous leaf and flower drop. No other problems. No spots or pests or strange colours on leaves. They are  under glass in a pyramid growhouse. One of the plants already hads three small peppers and another has several banana peppers appox 8cm long. I am imagining there is some connection with the weather but not sure what. It was very muggy here over last couple of days. Very little sun but hot and sweaty. Poured with rain yesterday aft and evening.
Anyway, will I be able to rescue them?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13 »
Similar problems too Polly - first time I've grown peppers, have 3 outside just coming into bud, and 2 in a pot inside. Inside ones have about a dozen flowers well open, but so far first 2 have fallen off including 1cm of stem.
Have started feeding with tomato feed weekly, keep soil damp but not soggy, plenty of sun and heat inside - what am i doing wrong?
Leaves were a bit decimated by snails until i bought it inside :evil:

jim strimmer

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 13:29 »
Hi POLLY
        it could be powder mildew ,or either poor air circulation around the plants in your green house that caused stress to your plants.
    you could try spraying some funga side.
                                       Jim
hi New to the veg game .started with a half a allotment run out of room, now got a full one.
saddly my old one is now full weeds .
so much advice on here must say thank to ever one who put toward it.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 14:49 »
No sign of powdery mildew as such. I often spray with a seaweed solution to strengthen plants. Could try some fungicide .....

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 19:10 »
Could be a sudden change in temperature. Peppers are prone to losing their leaves if this happens.

Janeymiddlewife

FUMOP
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 19:24 »
Did a bit of googling around - several sites mentioned a possible calcium deficiency and to use lime. So I added a little powdered lime to soil on one plant and watered in well to see if it makes a difference. Also seemed to be that if flowers were not polinated they would fall off, so put plant outside in the sun for  a few hours this afternoon to let the bees do their thing, but also got busy with artists brush :wink:
Will let you know, so far they've survived a heavy shower without flowers falling off so maybe I've turned a corner?

xx
Leaf drop on blueberries

Started by Susannah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 12:08
by Susannah
xx
leaf drop on my fig tree

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 19:25
by Yorkie
xx
Redcurrent drop

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2017, 08:32
by New shoot
xx
Tomato Blossom Drop

Started by MikeyandAnnie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 10:20
by pushrod

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 36 queries.