Question for DD please.

• 23 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Question for DD please.
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:57 »
Looking at the pictures of your peas (several times :lol: ) and seen how you plant them, I will be following your guide next year and planting mine the same way. What I wanted to know was, do you just plant the dried peas straight in the ground and take pot luck on germination, or do you prepare them before planting?

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Question for DD please.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 17:46 »
Straight in - no messing.

I buy mine loose from a local nursery, much much cheaper than packet ones & can therefore afford to sow a bit denser to allow for failures.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Question for DD please.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 00:35 »
Spot on DD that will do me.

Dave.

FCG

Question for DD please.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:38 »
Where can i find this guide? Sounds interesting.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Question for DD please.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:01 »
It's on a previous post, but searching for posts by me, referring to peas, is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

This may not be the one, but says it all....

Quote from: "DD."
I never molly-coddle peas.

Trench.

Throw in.

Cover in trench.

Net.

Support.

Pick.

Eat.

Maybe cook one or two!

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Question for DD please.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:06 »
Hmmm...can't actually find any of the posts that illustrate how DD does it. I will do my best to explain though as simply as I can. The best way I can describe it is...... plant one row of peas 3 inches apart. Then plant another row 3 inches away from that one then another row 3 inches from that one l.e.

o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
 -o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
 o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o  

The whole lot is then ringed from the outside with canes and supporting string added as the plants grow. If you ask DD nicely I am sure he would be kind enough to show you a pic of his peas grown this way.

Dave.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Question for DD please.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:31 »
Wasnt it more of a pyramid planting DD?  I can remember that post myself....
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
Question for DD please.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32 »
Never one to pass up a photo opportunity, but I think Mike has seen these before from what he says....

What you've posted is the general idea, Dave, except that I'm not going to get down on my hands & knees & plant over 140 feet of peas like that! I throw in a hand full at a time, hope it averages out plus a few for luck!

"Werks For Me!"

peterjf

peas
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42 »
hi , our peas have done really well this year,

we drilled them in straight rows, a seed planted in the soil about 2 inches apart , and just covered with the soil , kept them watered every day, then when about 6 inches high we fed with cumfrey,

we covered them with netting to stop the pigeons ,

we places garden twine on the outside canes ,abd added more twine as they progressed , we got 2 stone of peas from our 3 rows , we used kelvidon wonder seed peas,

good luck

FCG

Question for DD please.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:52 »
Methinks I'm going to steal your idea DD, looks really good. I only have small 6ft long row of peas this year. I hope I'll be able to increase that next year. Plus get a lot more if i manage to get my hands on an allotment!

SalJ1980

Question for DD please.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48 »
I tried direct sowing this year but bu**er all happened (oh, sorry, I got 1 plant!), so I started another lot off at home and planted them out when they were nice and strong. It worked a treat as I now have a nice row of peas and have had some yummy harvests!

I'll carry on doing this from now on, as a) I don't mind the extra bit of bother, and b) I got loads of enjoyment from running in and out of the spare room every half an hour (or so it seemed) to check and see what was happening!  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Question for DD please.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:50 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
I tried direct sowing this year but bu**er all happened (oh, sorry, I got 1 plant!), so I started another lot off at home and planted them out when they were nice and strong. It worked a treat as I now have a nice row of peas and have had some yummy harvests!

I'll carry on doing this from now on, as a) I don't mind the extra bit of bother, and b) I got loads of enjoyment from running in and out of the spare room every half an hour (or so it seemed) to check and see what was happening!  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nice idea in principle - but not with 140 foot of peas! :lol:

SalJ1980

Question for DD please.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 11:52 »
I agree with that, but I've only got one 6ft row!!!  :oops:  :lol:  Next year I'll have much more, but if I sow/plant successionally then I won't have to do it all at once...just constantly!  :roll:  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Question for DD please.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 11:54 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
I got loads of enjoyment from running in and out of the spare room every half an hour (or so it seemed) to check and see what was happening!  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Im not the only one who does that then  :D  :D

Paula

DD.

• Global Moderator
Question for DD please.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56 »
Planted some spares about 2 weeks ago, Paula - already a foot high!

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.