Turning lawn to vegetables

• 4 Replies

stephen dewar

« on: August 05, 2008, 12:15 »
Hi all, i'm looking for some wisdom on the issue of turning a lawn over to veg.I've made my beds and they are getting put in place at the moment but i wonder whether i am expecting too much from them if i wanted to plant to grow over the winter. Would you recommend that i sow into fresh compost for any veg? Its clay loam and the soil needs some work so would it would be better if i could just get some topsoil but if thats outwith my budget then im wondering if i might just have to wait until the spring when the sopil has had some work done on it over the winter.

With love

Stephen

NoodleSoup

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 13:14 »
I don't know whether what I did was right or not...but I started my veg garden about this time last year.

I took the turf off, dug a bit of the top of the soil over (because my garden is clay) and then covered with a small layer of compost. I had no problems growing over the winter nor this summer (even my carrots looked awesome, despite some people saying carrots don't grow well in clay ;) )

So I would say go for it because I found it was OK, although there are far more experienced people on there than me who may be able to offer you better advice :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 14:53 »
Soil can vary so much from road to road, that's its impossible to say whether or not things will grow. But definitely get the turf off and all weeds. Add what you can this fall, and you can still grow lettuce and such over winter. For maincrops like toms, cukes, melons, spuds, etc, you'd best wait until spring to plant so you can keep adding whatever you can find to the soil for those beds. You might get lucky and find some non-polluted manure, used growbags, etc which will boost your yields.

And good for you to use the front lawn for food. You might need to keep an eye on them if you're in town.

stephen dewar

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 13:17 »
Hi, thanks for that. Well my front lawn is the only piece of land i have so i shall use it for veg contrary to the expected growing of ornamentals or slabbing or chipping. There was a time, as i'm sure we all know, when every bit of land that people had was put to ether grwoing or grazing and onlyi  the last few hundred years hase ornamental has become the norm. I have had a few odd looks since it started to become obvious that i am preparing a veg garden. But i kinda like that. I shall plant a few beds nd prepare the rest for the spring but will carrots grow at this time of year. I seem to find varying advice on carrots. One book says grow in spring summer but can i grow them over the winter?
I know i can plant onions and lettuce and cabbage and leeks and a few others so i think the best idea is to get stuff in and see how tha garden grows and start the learning process for my own little patch of lovely earth.

Bye all

Stephen

stephen dewar

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 13:17 »
Hi, thanks for that. Well my front lawn is the only piece of land i have so i shall use it for veg contrary to the expected growing of ornamentals or slabbing or chipping. There was a time, as i'm sure we all know, when every bit of land that people had was put to ether grwoing or grazing and onlyi  the last few hundred years hase ornamental has become the norm. I have had a few odd looks since it started to become obvious that i am preparing a veg garden. But i kinda like that. I shall plant a few beds nd prepare the rest for the spring but will carrots grow at this time of year. I seem to find varying advice on carrots. One book says grow in spring summer but can i grow them over the winter?
I know i can plant onions and lettuce and cabbage and leeks and a few others so i think the best idea is to get stuff in and see how tha garden grows and start the learning process for my own little patch of lovely earth.

Bye all

Stephen

xx
Turning a Lawn Into an Allotment

Started by mrbcsd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 21:16
by snowdrops
xx
Cauli's turning turning purple

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 13:11
by Oscar Too
xx
Turning

Started by Amilo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 13:44
by Amilo
xx
Tom's turning red.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2022, 18:02
by Growster...

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 28 queries.