A different tomato problem

• 8 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:27 »
I have a few tomato plants in my greenhouse (first year growing) and I have not kept on top of them with having so many jobs to do this first year. Initially I have found I have planted them too close together, have not pinched out some of the growing tips and side shoots. I now have rampant tomato plants about six foot tall. I have also taken a lot of leaves off the plants so as to be able to see through the mass of leaves.
My problem, some of the toms have normal fruits, but some have started turning red at a very early stage. So I now have a lot of pea sized tomatoes that are useless.
Is there one specific reason this has happened or is it a combination of things.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:32 »
do you know what variety they are?  As some varieties are pea sized.  I like good big toms myself and find those tiny ones irritating  :D  There are quite a few of these types knocking about

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38 »
Not sure of the variety but they are cherry toms. The same plants are carrying normal sized toms and the pea sized as well.

Dave.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:02 »
I think cramped & untended says it all!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 15:15 »
Ditto. Toms just love to produce leaf growth at the expense of the fruit. And if the toms are in growbags or pots, it's even worse.

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 15:25 »
I grow ours at the side of the house, however this is the only option for space and so they are shaded by the house to the South, this means with the trees and sheds, its a bit like them growing in a canyon and they do push up trying to reach the light.

The ones I had down the allotment last year were much more dwarf and bushy, and they seemed to enjoy the dawn to dusk daylight hours. Sadly I lost the lot to blight , it probably did not help they were growing next to the potatoes. But I would have liked to have known what the yield and fruit quality would have been like.

Its still early enough in the season I could transplant some from the house up the plot
Steve

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 15:30 »
If space is your problem and you have a front flower garden with lots of sun, then plant some toms there, and do them as a decorative feature with attractive stakes, etc. People will marvel at your ingenuity  :wink:

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 15:48 »
OK thank you, I think I get the picture now :lol: . With what I have learnt on this forum this year I have already got my plans for next years tomato beds. I have four beds in my greenhouse 3 of them are 10' x 2' and 1 is 15' x 2', the three 10ft beds are for my tomatoes which will contain 13 plants each, which gives a minimum distance of 18" between each plant. I will also be making sure all side-shoots are pinched out and the growing tip pinched out after 4 trusses have formed. The 15' bed will be for my sweet peppers and chili plants which are doing OK this year. Thank you for the replies.

Dave.

P.S. Your right there Trillium, it was like a jungle of greenery till I chopped a lot of the leaves off just to be able to see the flowers.

FCG

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 22:12 »
My toms didn't get a chance to go wild, they where in quite a shady spot. So they have not as many leaves and masses of fruit. However thanks for the tip on putting them in a sunny front garden. I'll definitely try that, thanks Trillium.

xx
tomato problem

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 10:29
by nickholden
xx
tomato problem

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 16:36
by hiccup
xx
Tomato Problem

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 17:29
by Cazzy
xx
Tomato problem

Started by peskypixie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 22:13
by RichardA

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 30 queries.