My courgettes keep going yellow?

• 11 Replies

Charlotte

« on: July 29, 2008, 21:00 »
Hi,
I had a really good start with my courgettes,now as they grow,when they get a couple of inches long they seem to be going yellow half way down and then stop growing. :(

The leaves are yellow and have mildew,I cut those ones off in the hope it wont spread and I try not over water them I also feed them once a week. They are in grow bags.

Any ideas?

Thanks Charlotte.

chickchick

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 22:12 »
i had the same thing happening on my cucumbers, i think i overwatered them as they were going rotty at the bottom and yellow. since i have not watered them so much i now have a lovely 3-4" cucumber. im desparately keeping a good eye on it now!
hope this helps?

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 23:41 »
I dont think you can over water Courgettes as they are very thirsty.... I chuck about a gallon per plant everyday and they lap it up....

Cues are a diff matter, they do need careful watering - my experience is that they need careful watering when young but as they beef up and start flowering and fruiting the watering needs stepping up just a tad......
Death OR Cake ???

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:38 »
Mildew suggests there's not enough air flow around the plant and it will persist. Make a very strong, large pot of chammomile tea, let it cool, strain, dilute with more water and water the plant leaves (both sides) and soil well with this anti-fungal solution. If this doesn't cure them, then not much will.

As for the yellows, could this possibly be the yellow fruiting variety you've planted rather than the green?
Or, did you use some of the weedkiller-infected manure?l

Personally, I don't over water my courgettes; they seem to do well on what nature provides. But the cukes demand daily watering or they flop.

Charlotte

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:00 »
Thanks for the tip with the tea,i will try that today and see if it works.

They arent the yellow variety, so i will have ago,if all else fails,I'll just drink the tea! :)

Charlotte.

chickchick

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:28 »
sorry about the wrong advice, just wanted to try and help  :oops:

Ruby Red

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32 »
Seem to remember something about yellowing plants and Bicarbonate of soda. Which is in most kitchen cupboards.  :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 15:26 »
Quote from: "chickchick"
sorry about the wrong advice, just wanted to try and help  :oops:

Don't worry about it, chickchick. At least you sorted out your own problem, which is always a good thing. You can overwater cukes, and obviously you were drowning yours at first. Courgettes just don't need that much water.

Charlotte, you could also try adding some sort of feed to your plants, but just a little, to see if they need a nutrition boost. A bit of manure tea a couple days after the chammomile watering.

Charlotte

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 15:34 »
Ive been using tomorite to feed them twice a week,could it be that is too much?

Charlotte

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 15:41 »
one of my pumpkin plants has curled up gone yellowish and died over night.. Think it was because I gave it way too much growmore :(

gobs

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 21:19 »
I'd won't on a hunch give that much tom feed to courgettes, but I haven't much container experience of them, so you might well ignore. :lol:

Anyhow, Chick, it's dead easy to get anything over or under watered in a container! 8)

However, mildew often comes with a dry root run, make sure those bags are damp, Charlotte. It needs be very bad to cause much damage to the plant.

The first few fruits are quite often aborted in a lot of cucurbits, if it's them, I'd not worry a bit.

Though they grow well in containers, 2 to a grow bag might be a crowd, so expect them shading each other, etc, which can badly effect fruiting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Charlotte

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 21:42 »
Thanks for the tips Gobs, I,ve cut all the yuckky leaves off them tonight and out of the two one seems to be growing a new lot of baby fruits that look as if they are coming on ok,so maybe one plant is still ok.

I will just keep giving them both lots ot TLC and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks eveyone for your advice.

Charlotte. :)

xx
Yellow Courgettes

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 10:03
by surbie100
xx
my courgettes are going all yellow

Started by brinylon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 09:30
by WG.
xx
yellow courgettes

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 18:56
by Mattgregory27
xx
Going yellow and dropping off (courgettes)

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 10:00
by milkman

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 29 queries.