garlic

• 18 Replies

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
garlic
« on: July 27, 2008, 14:28 »
my garlic has started to turn brown and starting to fall over, does it need harvesting or should i wait til its all brown?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 14:51 »
I'd have it up & dry it out before the rain comes!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

garlic
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 18:21 »
Soon as the foliage starts to change colour from mid-July onward, you can harvest garlic. it doesn't have to be all brown before pulling up. There's no more root growth once the foliage starts dying back.

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
garlic
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 19:36 »
Can't remember where I first read/heard it, but it's always been my tradition to harvest garlic on Bastille Day (July 14).  My garlic was pretty tiny this year, but it was clearly ready by then.
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
garlic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 00:55 »
thanks, i shall dig away! :D

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:45 »
i grew variety Music this year and the yield has been fantastic, really nice bulbs, good size and taste.  Lifted them about 3 weeks ago.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Tugster

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:53 »
These are a few of my little babies. I just bought an organic garlic bulb form Morrisons, planted the cloves in Jan and pulled them up last week. They about golf ball size and the best most mild garlic I have ever tasted, and I eat loads of garlic!!

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 15:59 »
silly question I'm sure but when was this garlic planted- as I planted some in May and mine is also brown stems and fallen over, but some tell me it won't be ready til Oct.  confused :?  :?

themidnight_rambler

garlic
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 16:09 »
I bought several kinds of garlic from the Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight earlier this year and the advice from them was to keep the bulbs in a warm light place and plant them in late September/early October.

Debz

garlic
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 16:17 »
I have never planted garlic before but really would like to this year.  Wht are the rules with regards to soil ie should it be freshly manured or not etc.  When should I plant and what do you think are the best varieties?  (Apologies for highjacking this thread but it reminded me to ask questions)

Tugster

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 16:38 »
As I said before, I planted in Jan and pulled up last week. I started them off in pots in greenhouse and moved them over to allotment after a month. I put them straight into the ground with the compost from each pot, and thats it. My soil has not been grown in for over 4 years and I have not fed them with anything. So I would say they are quite easy to grow.

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
garlic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 17:58 »
lucky a bought one grew :) most on sale(supermarkets )  are non uk happy breeds !

they look yummy btw :)
Are you a curry fan ??

gus

garlic
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 19:40 »
I read somewhere that they need a cold period  to devellop properly or you dont get the cloves forming :)
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

Tugster

• Experienced Member
garlic
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 20:13 »
I love curry and make a mean one.

Trillium

garlic
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 20:23 »
Quote from: "muddifoot"
silly question I'm sure but when was this garlic planted- as I planted some in May and mine is also brown stems and fallen over, but some tell me it won't be ready til Oct.  confused :?  :?

Your informant was confused. Garlic for next year should be planted somewhere between Sept. and January, depending on your climate zone. If soil hardens for winter, plant the cloves in early fall.
Harvest always comes mid summer depending on the variety. Some are a bit earlier than this, some are a bit later. Either way, they should be all harvested by early August.

Your May planting won't yield much as there's been not enough time for root growth, so you'll probably find one large single clove, which you can pull now and replant this fall. Garlic growth is light-controlled and now that we're past solstice, the crop is readying for winter regardless of planting time.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
thumbdown
garlic

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 18:51
by realfood

Page created in 0.606 seconds with 36 queries.