ONION SETS, AUTUMN OR SPRING SOWN?

• 2 Replies

debbiewilliams

« on: July 26, 2008, 07:44 »
We have spring planted heat treated onion sets for a few years. Two years ago we decided, due to the amount of garden activities in spring, we would try autumn planted heat treated sets.  The trouble is our autumn ones bolted a little last year and lots this, resulting in losing most of our crop.  However all our neighbouring plots who did the spring planted sets have got a really horrible white fungus growing underneath their sets.  I know the bolting was due to us not watering during a particulary prolonged dry period, so perhaps we could make a note not to do that again, but why are onions so difficult to grow this last couple of years, when they have been perfectly ok before that. ... not to mention the autumn grown shallots/garlic that also, either bolted or rotted!
Debs:)

gobs

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 08:34 »
Well, I think seed quality wasn't what it usually is after last season this year.

Saying that I had no probs with any I am growing. Stick with things that do well for you and return to them after a couple seasons might be a good idea.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:48 »
I have sets sown this spring and I have only just noticed one onion that has mold on it - all the others are great,  none have bolted either but I will pull mine now to stop any more mold.
I am thinking of using seed and planting this autumn too - I think its about experimenting.
 For me opnions and peas have been terrific this year - not so cauliflowers - very disappointing. poor germination of beetroot, poor potato crop. Hope beans will be good

xx
Feeding spring sown onion sets

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 12:38
by Yana
xx
Autumn onion sets in Spring??

Started by Dragonfly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 19:28
by WG.
xx
Autumn and spring onion sets: do they need different treatment?

Started by Natasha on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 21:55
by Natasha
xx
Autumn onion sets already!

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 16:23
by TerryB

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 35 queries.