A Few Qs......

• 3 Replies

scott40k

A Few Qs......
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:51 »
We have our new polytunnel  :D I'm hoping to pop some winter lettuces in it and some onions and garlic. Will spinach and rocket winter it out in there? also what are the best winter lettuce varieties?

What else can I pop in there over the winter, or that will have a chance of growing if we have a warm autumn like the last few years?

Also a q about my sweet pepper plant. I've lost a few of the fruits to something thats burrowed in (like a maggot???). Any idea what this is and how do i stop it affecting my healthy fruits?

Thanks
Joanna

matron

A Few Qs......
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11 »
I am hoping to grow some things over winter in our polyhouse as well. I haven't tried it before but I have got 2 varieties of lettuce to try. They are Arctic King and Valdor. I will be sowing them next month.  :lol:

scott40k

A Few Qs......
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:07 »
Thanks for the reply (love your siggie btw).

I bought a few packets of salad seeds although some are 'speedy seeds' which can be sown now and harvested up until sept/oct. hopefully by popping them in the polytunnel it will extend their season a little. Then I've got some french and Italian herby type mixes. they probably won't do so well over the winter. but i'll try a few and keep the rest of the seeds for next summer.

I also got some rocket and perpetual spinach.

Fingers crossed  :D , good luck with yours too

gobs

A Few Qs......
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41 »
Hi, Scott!

All those plants you mention don't really need a poly to over-winter, parella is a good winter lettuce.

You could do peas in there and more delicate salads, some oriental veg and over-winter your touchy things and start off things early or leave long maturing ones in there for late harvest. Could start off late fruiting toms from cuttings for example.

Maggots in peppers can be a couple of things, once in there though, nothing you can do. I find no incidence under cover.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 27 queries.