sweet peppers

• 9 Replies

kezlou

sweet peppers
« on: July 24, 2008, 21:50 »
Hi everyone just popping for a bit of advice and guidance.

I went to my local Wilkinsons today and bought 6 sweet peppers plants for 50p in the sale, they look reasonably healthy.
Just wondering if i put them in the green house outside will the peppers produce any fruit this year? If not should i just compost them?

Thanks for looking, have a good night everyone  :D
Kez
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 22:15 »
They've got a chance now they've got a good home.

They certainly won't produce any next year!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

sweet peppers
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 22:44 »
Should be good for green harvest at least, pot up into rich compost .
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

kezlou

sweet peppers
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:25 »
Thanks DD and Gobs i've put them in some B&Q compost (all i had), going to give them a good watering again today. Hopefully it will fruit, sorry for the daft question about fruiting next year never grown grown peppers before :oops:

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
sweet peppers
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:54 »
Actualy peppers can last five years or more, you just need to let them hibernate through the winter. Peppers tend to reach thier peak fruiting potential at about 3 years old, it's just they fruit well enough in the first that people don't tend to bother over wintering them. I cut mine right back last year, trimmed the roots back and potted them into a smaller pot. I kept them in my unheated conservatory which is frost free and did not allow them to completely dry out. When spring came I started watering and light feeding and they sprang back into life.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
sweet peppers
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10 »
Quote from: "SpudtheBinx"
Actualy peppers can last five years or more, you just need to let them hibernate through the winter. Peppers tend to reach thier peak fruiting potential at about 3 years old, it's just they fruit well enough in the first that people don't tend to bother over wintering them. I cut mine right back last year, trimmed the roots back and potted them into a smaller pot. I kept them in my unheated conservatory which is frost free and did not allow them to completely dry out. When spring came I started watering and light feeding and they sprang back into life.

Ive just found out recently you can do the same with chillies too, Im going to overwinter a couple of mine to compare with next years seed sowing
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
sweet peppers
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:19 »
Aye, sweet peppers and some chillies are all the same thing, just different hybrids.

sclarke624

sweet peppers
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:26 »
I kept them in my unheated conservatory which is frost free and did not allow them to completely dry out. When spring came I started watering and light feeding and they sprang back into life.

That is very useful to know thanks Spud, I was wondering wether the sweet peppers come up again.  I will put mine in the wendy house (summerhouse) for the winter.  Started them late, because of the problem of germinateing pepper seeds, which ain't easy and takes longer than on the packet, as discussed by some of us before.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

kezlou

sweet peppers
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 20:27 »
Quote from: "SpudtheBinx"
I cut mine right back last year, trimmed the roots back and potted them into a smaller pot..

Hi Spud how far do you cut the pepper  / chilli plant back?
Sounds a great idea keeping them over winter.

gobs

sweet peppers
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 08:31 »
Just to avoid disappointment they are not that easy to overwinter here though. :wink:

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
sweet peppers

Started by BELLS PLOT on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 00:44
by Trillium

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.