Red onions

• 7 Replies

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Red onions
« on: January 24, 2007, 18:46 »
I have just today taken the last of my red onions from store. But over the course of the last 4 months I have thrown away as many as I have used.

Following problems with bolting in 2003 and 2004 I changed from spring sets to autumn planted sets. I use varieties:Radar (yellow) and Electric (red) from Tuckers. The switch to autumn sets has so far prevented reccurence of bolting problems.

However we have a very wet August up here in 2005 and as a consequence neither varieties kept well.

August 2006 could not have been better - hot and dry - but still the red variety has not kept well. Radar is keeping very well and should see through to April so long as too many do not sprout.

Has any one come across a red variety that keeps well?

muntjac

Red onions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 20:12 »
ok sounds like i gotta pop a bit in here . i to have had probs with onions rotting in the past , so heres my tip for saving them from root roting.. get some very dry sand put in flat bottom seed trays with a sheet newspaper on to stop it falling through . when your onions are ready to harvest  lift them up with a fork dont just pull them up as this breaks roots on the foot of the onion aim to lift the onions on a hot day . turn them roots ball up to the sun in the morning if possible .. please please do not bend them over to help the drying out process .... all you do is damage the onion and allow the damage to go onto causing rot. when the soil on the roots is bone dry  lift and then take them into your greenhouse or shed .put the onions in the trays of sand root ball down .this wil draw any more moisture from the roots . now get some old netting  the plastic pea stuff is useful if the onions dont fall through it . if they do lay newspaper down  to hold them. now allow the air to flow around the onions . they should  go crispy on the leaf part  , the trick is to make sure they are completly dry .if they snap and crack when you bend the leaves then they are fine cut it off about 2 inches from the onion and store in a onion bag ( get these free from the veggie market) do not allow them to get damp again. or wet moist air to get to them . i found i still had a few losses but growing 600 onions and losing maybe 50 instead of losing 300+ prior to listening to the old fella taught me a timely tip    :D  :wink:
still alive /............

shaun

Red onions
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 21:12 »
ive lost about 50% of mine this year but last year lost hardly any  :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Red onions
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 22:05 »
I've planted Electric sets.  I'll have to make sure to use those first :evil:

muntjac

Red onions
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 22:09 »
are they ok in the rain and snow sally? hate to see em light up allong ya plot  :lol:

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Red onions
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 22:13 »
Thanks for that muntjac, I'll employ the dry sand trick this year and report back.

I store in old carrot bags suspended from garage rafters (keeps the mice away) but I am at the mercy of the climate regarding humidity levels in atmosphere

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Red onions
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 22:13 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Haven't had to change the fuse yet  :!:

bigtater

Red onions
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:43 »
previously i had losses of about 20 percent of my onions
but this time after thoroughly drying them like munty says i then got larege wooden boxes put a layer of straw in the bottom then a layer of onions layer of straw until the box is full
i have also done this with my taters and it seems to be working so far
 :lol:

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.