Very poor quality Compost

• 38 Replies

lincspoacher

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 09:51 »
Quote from: "peapod"
then why the difference lincs?

Ive had cr*p from B&Q  this year, and if wilkos is ok(so far), is this the luck of the draw? It doesnt matter that they are all made at the same place, but based on cost,  i cant understand why there is glass in any of them that didnt get past a filtering process.
Surely in this day and age of H&S, this shouldnt happen, or are all these companies rubbish and we cant buy any compost any more?
(im thinking that maybe the 'new weedkiller' is in it too?)
Im really worried about spending my hard earned now....

Paula

Well  as  I said in a previous post, its also to do with green waste. Thats where the dodo is coming from, recycled rubbish. If you stick to peat based or loam based products, like John Innes mixes, there shouldnt be any nasty stuff.

The term 'Multi Pupose' or 'All Purpose' is a blanket term which means it can have anything in it. If someone like B&Q has said 'make us 100,000 10L bags of multi purpose in our brand label bags as cheap as possible' then it WILL be as cheap as possible, and all that goes with that. And that all depends on what is the cheapest ingrediants available at the time. if theres a peat shortage at the time and a green waste glut, then the quality will go down.

Best Strategy: buy compost in Feb/March when factories are stock piling. When you find a mix you like, buy enough to last all year. Next years compost might be different.

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32 »
our allotment compost is made on the farm for us by the supplier  :D

sclarke624

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21 »
If I remember rightly Westland is quite good mostly am I right.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 12:44 »
I was toying with the idea of making my own next year. I was thinking of sieving some of my soil, adding sand and the rich stuff from the bottom of my dalek.

johnathome

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 14:34 »
I got a few bags of multi purpose from Wickes, great stuff, no lumps or anything.

Maybe i was just lucky :roll:

sclarke624

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 14:43 »
I got a few bags of multi purpose from Wickes, great stuff, no lumps or anything.

Out of interest though John was that Wickes own brand, as I saw some of that down at Wickes Littlehampton and think it was Westland compost.

I grow everything in containers and raised bed so nice compost important really.  I have started mixing some John Innes no 2 with any compost I use, find it retains water a bit more, even though compost is supposed to have wetting agent in it.

lincspoacher

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 18:34 »
Quote from: "sclarke624"

Out of interest though John was that Wickes own brand, as I saw some of that down at Wickes Littlehampton and think it was Westland compost.

Westland dont make compost for Wickes, I know who does but i cant say :D

I can tell you that Tesco, Morrisons, Wyvale and Wickes are all made at the same place tho..........

lincspoacher

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 20:44 »

I grow everything in containers and raised bed so nice compost important really.  I have started mixing some John Innes no 2 with any compost I use, find it retains water a bit more, even though compost is supposed to have wetting agent in it.

Best strategy is to mix 25% medium perlite with it,  if you having a problem keeping it wet.

wighty

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 21:04 »
I wouldn't buy my compost from the Council, I know what I take up to thedump, all the rub bish that I don't want in my heap, the mares tail, couch etc.  We are looking at a new supplier for the shop as we have always stock Sinclairs ie Arthur Bowyers but despite spending 15,000 a year we get no back up from them.  One visit ayear from their rep and nothing else but so far we haven't got anywhere, they all seem to be the same.

johnhar

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 21:12 »
I WILL ONLY USE 1 MAKE OF MULTI PURPOSE COMPOST FOR MY SEEDSOWING & POTTING ON AND TAT IS BULLRUSH. HAVE BEEN USING THIS BRAND FOR MANY YEARS & IT IS ALWAYS CONSISTENT IN MAKE UP & PERFORMANCE. NOT TE CHEAPEST ONE POSSIBLY, BUT WHY TRUST A £4 BAG OF COMPOST WITH THE JOB OF LOOKING AFTER £3 WORTH OF SEED ?
john

Bombers

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 22:36 »
Just gone to have a look at the make of my compost this year- as I have been very impressed. It's called "Richmoor" not used this one before, but will deffinately get some next year if I can.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

lincspoacher

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "wighty"
I wouldn't buy my compost from the Council, I know what I take up to thedump, all the rub bish that I don't want in my heap, the mares tail, couch etc.  We are looking at a new supplier for the shop as we have always stock Sinclairs ie Arthur Bowyers but despite spending 15,000 a year we get no back up from them.  One visit ayear from their rep and nothing else but so far we haven't got anywhere, they all seem to be the same.

Yea, the problem is the scale gap - £15k a year is a lot of compost to you and me, and a lot of money to most people, but  its approx 5 bulk loads or about 300 cu/m, tnd to a factory that makes maybe 5k cu/m  a DAY when running flat our, its a minor account. The biggest growers in the country, the sort of people that win Golds at the RHS Chelsea Show, might take that amount in one week during the season, and do that for a 15 week period. Some factories have a minimum delivery of 1/2 a lorry in fact.  The factories want big accounts so they can do long runs,  delivered in loose bulk, thats the most cost effective way to sell compost, unfortunately. We little guys really are just nibbling at the edge of the shoal.

:(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 13:14 »
Quote from: "johnhar"
I WILL ONLY USE 1 MAKE OF MULTI PURPOSE COMPOST FOR MY SEEDSOWING & POTTING ON AND TAT IS BULLRUSH. HAVE BEEN USING THIS BRAND FOR MANY YEARS & IT IS ALWAYS CONSISTENT IN MAKE UP & PERFORMANCE. NOT TE CHEAPEST ONE POSSIBLY, BUT WHY TRUST A £4 BAG OF COMPOST WITH THE JOB OF LOOKING AFTER £3 WORTH OF SEED ?

Have you broken your keyboard dear ?  Your Caps Lock seems to be stuck on  :!:

johnathome

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 11:36 »
Out of interest though John was that Wickes own brand,

Yes, thats the stuff.
I would have bought some topsoil as well but they were sold out.

Quote from: "lincspoacher"
I know who does but i cant say

Now you've got me wondering, go on tell, PM me if you can't post it here. :)

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 15:25 »
i find it false economy to buy the cheap stuff you end up having to pot things on quicker ,i also mix perlite with my compost and use vermiculite with seeds, buy it from country stores  find they sell really large bags and they are really good on there veg seeds jan :)

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
quality of multipurpose compost

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 08:37
by paintedlady
question
Soil quality

Started by HippyMomma on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 13:08
by HippyMomma

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 36 queries.