How long for glyphosate to work?

• 7 Replies

NoodleSoup

« on: July 23, 2008, 16:20 »
I bought some ready-mixed glyphosate solution to put on the bindweed which is plaguing my vegetable plot and garden. Does anyone know how long it takes to work? I've sprayed most of the leaves so that they had a light covering, and I think it's about the right time to spray (the plants are growing like there's no tomorrow, and a couple have flowers on them), but there doesn't seem to have been any effect as yet (48 hours - yes, I'm impatient :) )

Johnny Norfolk

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 17:47 »
The effect is to increase the plants growing rate and after about 2/3 weeks it dissapears never to come back again. If it was ready mixed did you shake before use. If required apply again. I mix my own and buy it from Wilkinsins for £7.95 a Litre, other well known makes are about £20

I find it workd just as well.
Support The Country Way of Life

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 20:16 »
As Johnny says, glyphosate takes 2-3 weeks before showing the results of a spray.  This is because it works by absorbing the weedkiller into its system (hence 'systemic') and killing it from within.

Don't be too impatient, and you'll see results eventually - and I wouldn't bother respraying just yet if you're sure that the mixture was mixed ok.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peterjf

glyphosate
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 22:19 »
21 -22 days for glyphosate to work , then clear the dead tops off , dig the patch asap , any weeds that are left will be new groath , new tender weed plants , let the little * come through properly then hit them again with glyphosate, NO MORE WEEDS HA HA HA

NoodleSoup

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 13:38 »
Excellent, thanks everyone :) I guess I was being a bit impatient ;)

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 15:50 »
Just a few more pointers - spray when the plant is dry (ie no rain or dew) as this will dilute the effectiveness of the weedkiller.  I personally found bindweed needed several applications to kill it outright (it has quite a network of roots so "something" must survive to try again :evil: ) but glyphosate is absolutely brilliant on couch grass (you should start to see a difference after just a week :wink: )
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

NoodleSoup

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 20:17 »
Thanks :) I've been spraying in the evening so that the chemicals weren't in direct sunlight, and also to make sure the plants were dry when sprayed.

I don't know if it's the glyphosate or just the lack of water, but some of the smaller weeds are looking particularly unhealthy at the moment which is great. Some of the comfrey FINALLY looks like it's going to go away too (comfrey keeps trying to take over my entire garden :( )

Johnny Norfolk

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 23:26 »
Its strange but after I have sprayed it looks no different for days. Then next time I look its all gone. Its biggest enemy is rain. You need about 6/8 dry hours after spraying.

xx
Glyphosate ban?

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

61 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 22:31
by Aunt Sally
xx
using glyphosate just now

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 18:11
by diospyros
xx
Glyphosate

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 11, 2006, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua

Page created in 0.917 seconds with 36 queries.