Help and advice needed

• 19 Replies

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
Want to keep hens
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 20:24 »
Yeah... I was naive enough to think that the hens would be responsible about access to my veg and flowers, but they have pretty much taken over.  It's funny... some plants they will just devour, others they don't touch.  Basically if you let the hens run loose, even for a little while every day, they will gradually start to assume there is no place that's off-limits.  My advice: No matter how cute they are don't let them in the house (mine think they should get to roost on the couch every night), and make sure the area that's just for them is entertaining enough that they won't beg to be let out.
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Want to keep hens
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 20:55 »
We have put wire across so they don't have access to the patio and cnservatory - although they sometimes fly over it and pop in to say hello. A bit loud when the cockerel starts crowing in the conservatory!

compostqueen

Want to keep hens
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 23:06 »
:lol:  I can imagine  :shock:
My old man was a bit miffed by the thought of chickens on the grass mind not sure why given it was full of weeds. It's not now, they're doing a great job of clearing them and dethatching it. It's looking good now that it's been done over and manured  :D

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
Want to keep hens
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46 »
Yes, my hens have done wonders for the lawn... keep it grazed and the poo hasn't really been much of an issue... it works its way down into the dirt pretty quickly, especially with regular watering.  If only they didn't graze everything else too. :tongue2:

niknik

ex bats coming
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 10:27 »
Yippe, I have contacted the ex bat chicken place and we pick up three in September so excited and a bit scared.  We were advised to have three in case one of the chickens dies  :( . So now i would like some advice please about this Red Mite I keep hearing about, how often do I need to treat with this, do I do the hen house and the birds?  What is the best thing to use?

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
help advice needed

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 14:27
by gem
xx
Advice needed......

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 22:02
by Chuckles
xx
Advice needed

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 15:56
by Shop Keep

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.