new to allotments and chickens

• 4 Replies

seanandlaura

« on: July 21, 2008, 20:05 »
Hi Everyone, as of this evening i have become the proud owner of "plot 57".  Yes it's a little overgrown, but i've seen worse, as i'm sure you all have.

It was always my plan to have chickens (or maybe indian runner ducks), but seeing as my allotment is a fair bit larger than i can manage i now have what i consider to be a fair amount of space on my hands, but i coudl be overestimating due to shock.

My allotment measures 40m x 5m.  M plan was to turn about 1/3 to 1/2 over to a chicken run, so looking at 15m x 4m (ish).  Is this a decent size or would that be too big/small.  Also i'm planning on doing the battery hen rehousing if i go purely chickens (can you mix ducks and chicks).  If i stick with the 15m run how many would be a nice quantity to keep.  I know it sounds silly as they're used to being massively overcrowded, but i obviouslydon't want to crowd them.

Next question would be as to what size shed to build them.  I read that if possible keep it off th ground to increase shade and space for the chooks, and can i strim the ground down short and pop the chooks in and let them eat the grass/weeds.  Someone at work said you can, but i'd rather check.

Hope thats not too much for a first post, but i like to get prepared ;).  Working fuill time takes up most of my day, so being prepared will help me get organised ;)

Thanks in advance for any replies

Sean

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 22:08 »
Hi Sean welcome to the forums  :D

Generally they say allow at least 1msq per hen so 15x4 gonna be massive, depends how many hens or eggs you want  :lol:

And yes they will love the short grass and weeds they will soon devour them.

There's some good plans around on the net or in your local library or you could convert a shed to house them depends on how many hens or ducks, they need different sleeping arrangements I believe.  

Plans to get you started. :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 22:10 »
Hi seanandlaura.Congratulations on getting your plot :)
As far as I know,you can keep ducks & chickens together.I don't have experience in this though,but I'm sure someone else will post a reply soon.I'm a chicken newbie myself.I get mine in August.Your run sounds like it will be a good size,but I'll leave it for someone more experienced to advise you on numbers. :wink:
Keep us all posted on how you get on.Well done for choosing x-batts,that's very kind hearted 8)
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Vember

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 22:15 »
Hi  SeanandLaura

Welcome to the hen house :)

You can keep chickens and ducks togeather, I've just hatched some Runners an they are great BUT...

Geese are the best gardeners  (not that I have any favourites) :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 22:18 »
Welcome to the forum, hope you have a lovely time keeping poultry  and your allotment.
There is a thread that was started about keeping ducks and there is loads of info about generally about chooks and ducks so have fun looking and you can always ask :lol:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=20427&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=keeping+ducks

Hopefully this link will get you to one of the duck threads.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Chickens and allotments

Started by wendyg on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:03
by wendyg
xx
Chickens on allotments

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 20:11
by karlooben
xx
Chickens and allotments - your experience please.

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 18:10
by Yorkie
xx
chickens and bees on allotments

Started by spongebob on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:52
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 37 queries.