Can you elp us

• 16 Replies

sue anne

Can you elp us
« on: July 19, 2008, 23:21 »
This post is following on from my intro

Ello all
 We are the problem men in Sue anne’s life......must admit that we are a bit unruly...we have found our voice and we just don’t care about the neighbours, we have also found out about hens  :roll:  :shock:  :shock: :oops:  :oops: especially the three old girls,,, easy target they were,,,,I say were because they have talked Sue into giving them a pad of their own so we can’t get at them ,,, silly old fools, we were only showing our affections for them  :lol:  :lol: :lol:

Sue says that we have got two choices, the first one appeals to us,,, we are split up and found new homes......the second choice we are not too sure about,,, we over heard her say that she would like to think we were going to be taken on as pets and not for the table......then we heard her say something about what the eyes don’t see the heart won’t feel  :shock:  not sure what she means so I think we will opt for the first choice.

this is us......Wouldn’t you just love one of us

Poolfield2

Can you elp us
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 23:29 »
That's a problem I will be facing when mine are old enough to tell the girls from the boys, I'm not sure will write as well as yours though :lol: I think they will end up with option 2 :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Can you elp us
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 23:46 »
Handsome lads  :(

poultrygeist

Can you elp us
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:24 »
They sell themelves brilliantly. Almost irresistable......almost.  :roll:

Best of luck Sue Anne and the boys. Hope you find a nice home.  :D

Rob  8)

sue anne

Can you elp us
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 16:03 »
We have found homes for two of my men, just three more to go.  Do you know if two cockerels would live together quite happily if there wasn't any females about.  Or would they fight?

Sueanne

woodburner

Can you elp us
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 18:03 »
Quote from: "sue anne"
We have found homes for two of my men, just three more to go.  Do you know if two cockerels would live together quite happily if there wasn't any females about.  Or would they fight?

Sueanne

It has been known . . . rarely. The more hens the better actually  :roll: :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Kate and her Ducks

Can you elp us
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 18:06 »
Congratulation on rehoming two of them (so far). It's a bit of a nightmare isn't it :?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

sue anne

Can you elp us
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 18:18 »
Unfortunately we are too soft really.  Good job we don't do it for a living.  I get so attached to them and they all have names and are characters in their own right.  I am not a vegetarian but killing and eating my own I find very hard   :?

Kate and her Ducks

Can you elp us
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 18:29 »
Yes, I managed it once with a drake who I was given as an adult to get ducklings but really couldn't face it with the ones I have raised from the egg.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Can you elp us
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 21:01 »
Sueanne,

These are exactly the same as my boy - we got them as living eggs from school and landed up with a white one (boy) and a brown one (girl). The boy has been living happily, although noisily with the four girls but has now started attacking my childrens legs - he will shortly be looking for a new home too if it doesn't stop!

sue anne

Can you elp us
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 21:58 »
I was so protective of my 6 white hens and my four brown ones that I got when they were only a few days old.  I couldn't believe that 5 of the white ones were boys.  They are all different, some quite friendly still and some will peck you as soon as look at you.  Very handsome men but quite a handful.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Can you elp us
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 22:03 »
That's interesteing 'cos i was told that they were sex linked and that all the white ones were boys and all the brown ones were girls - which was true out of the 1- that hatched. Where did you get them from?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Can you elp us
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 22:29 »
Are they Amberlinks Sueanne?  They look like it. We had 2.5 cockerals in our first lot of Ambers, and it looks like we have 3 or 4 in this latest batch.

The brown chicks ARE colour sexed so the hens are brown and any boys are creamy/white, but the Amberlinks are feather sexed, so cockerals occasionally get missed and get into the batches of hens.    I can't remember now if the hatchery manager said that if the 2 lots of feathers  on the wing tips are even its a hen or if its a cockerel!  I was going to remember too, but I forgot!!!   DOH!!!!

Must go and Google!!!!  I'll be back!!!!!!!

I'm back!!!!!    Right, it looks like if the primary feathers and the covert feathers are the same length, the chick is a male, but if the primaries are longer than the coverts, then it's a female.  

A definition of covert feathers:

One of the small feathers covering the bases of the longer feathers of a bird's wings or tail.

Foxy

Can you elp us
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:24 »
if they are the same age and have grown up together, as long as there are no hens around they shouldn't fight (hopefully) I think its the hens they fight over. :shock:

sue anne

Can you elp us
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 08:38 »
I don't know the names of the breed of the hens.  We got them from an old folks home just after Easter.  They had 10 eggs so that the residents could see them hatch over Easter.  The eldest was 6 days old and the youngest was one day old.  They were six white and 4 brown.  My husband would like to keep one of the cockerels but I am not so sure.  We are now down to just 2 cockerels having found homes for three.  I don't mind if someone wants them for fattening up for the table as long as I don't see the deed being done.  Interesting about trying to sex them as chicks.  I looked at a few places on the net but I hadn't seen that about the length of the feathers.
Two of our cockerels went together where there isn't any hens and was wondering about the fighting.  I have found with the cockerels that they are of different temperaments.  Some are quite aggressive for no apparent reason and some quite laid back.

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 36 queries.