What a day!!!

• 6 Replies

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
What a day!!!
« on: July 19, 2008, 23:11 »
Had a call this morning morning to tell me my hens had escaped, so have had to to some running repairs to their run. No what I had in mind for today!!!

Just went over to the coop to put them to bed and was going to perch them as they are all sleeping in one nest box. This did not go well, they went mad two flew out! I left them with three perched, with the others (4) follow suit. I didn't want to over stress them so decided to leave well alone.

Poolfield2

What a day!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 23:15 »
They will perch in their own good time. If it worries you, can you block off the nest box a little while before they go to bed?

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
What a day!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 23:22 »
Just a bit concerned as there is 7 birds in a nesting box that is 12" x 18"...

PekinHeaven

What a day!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 23:51 »
Is the perch the same height or lower than the nest box? If so that's why they're using the nest box. The perch needs to be higher than the nest box.
Pekin Heaven

Pekin Bantams: Blue, White, Lemon Cuckoo, Black Frizzle, Blue Frizzle, Cuckoo, Silver Partridge, Gold Partridge.
Fertile Eggs & Birds when available.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
What a day!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 23:59 »
Quote from: "PekinHeaven"
Is the perch the same height or lower than the nest box? If so that's why they're using the nest box. The perch needs to be higher than the nest box.
Yeah perch is higher by about 6" or so.

PekinHeaven

What a day!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 00:02 »
They do prefer the nestbox, you just have to go in when it's dark and put them back on the perch. They'll soon learn. If you're up early (to remove item from n/box) you can always put something in the nest box overnight (like a box or something) when you bung them on the perch, to stop them getting in there. It's a pain in the rear but it's the only way to stop them.

Sorry thought I'd ask about perch height cos some chook houses have perches the same height as the n/boxes.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
What a day!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 00:07 »
Quote from: "PekinHeaven"
They do prefer the nestbox, you just have to go in when it's dark and put them back on the perch. They'll soon learn. If you're up early (to remove item from n/box) you can always put something in the nest box overnight (like a box or something) when you bung them on the perch, to stop them getting in there. It's a pain in the rear but it's the only way to stop them.

Sorry thought I'd ask about perch height cos some chook houses have perches the same height as the n/boxes.
Aye, went over tonight when dark and all hell broke lose, I hope they learn quick!

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.