Elderberries

• 2 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Elderberries
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:07 »
Hi

Not sure if this is in the right place but we have an elderberry tree overhanging our plot from next door it's been there for years and they are not really interested in the berries but we are.

In the past my dad and I used to make wine from elderberries but now I have a family time for wine making is no more - does anyone know any good recipes for jams or chutneys etc or come to that any other uses for elderberries it would be such a shame to waste them.

cheers

willnbirdie

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Elderberries
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:17 »
Elderberry jam will just be equal quantities of fruit/sugar, juice of a lemon and a knob of butter and boil hard until it reaches setting point. You could cook down the elderberries and strain them first before adding the sugar  etc to give you a clear jelly.  Try adding some apples as well but keep the fruit/sugar ratio. If you don't get proper setting add either some apples to the mix or add pectin powder to you sugar before adding.

You could also make a jelly using the strained elderberries with some port and orange zest to serve with game or pate. I do this with redcurrants but elderberries would be good as well.

paintedlady

Elderberries
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 14:35 »
Elderberry syrup!  Full of vitamin C so make hot drinks when you have a cold, or just want a hot fruit flavoured drink.

Add slices of lemon & crushed ginger & some cinnamon to make a spicy mix when boiling the berries in water.  Strain, add sugar ( :oops: sorry, can't remember quantities but basically you are making a syrup so it is a standard xx ounces per pint of juice) and heat up until the sugar has dissolved.  Bottle it and store somewhere cool & dark.  Dilute to taste with hot water - has a very Christmassy spicy flavour so perfect over the winter months. :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Are these Elderberries ?

Started by fatgit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 00:16
by Jake

Page created in 0.707 seconds with 28 queries.