Thanks DD!

• 15 Replies

SalJ1980

Thanks DD!
« on: July 16, 2008, 20:00 »
The carrot seeds you sent me arrived today! You're a Star!
 :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Thanks DD!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 20:05 »
You're welcome.

If you didn't see the post I made on the original thread, these are the ones I lifted yesterday...

(And I told you they were in a plain wrapper  :wink: )
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 20:43 »
DD, how big is your plot?!!  The amount of produce you manage to produce appears huuuuuuge  :shock: (and that's before you count the peas!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 21:07 »
Between Mrs. DD. & myself there's somewhere in the region of 800 - 850 sq metres.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 21:41 »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

That's a lot of weeding  :roll:

I have painful fingers from picking 1lb 4 oz of peas today and then shelling them.  I have no idea how you manage the quantities you do.  Respect  :lol:

wighty

Thanks DD!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 21:53 »
I hope 'Skip' is enjoying my carrots as I've sowed three lots and none have come up and so have decided they've all gone 'south'.  Shan't bother again.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 22:06 »
Quote from: "Yorkie1"
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

That's a lot of weeding  :roll:

I have painful fingers from picking 1lb 4 oz of peas today and then shelling them.  I have no idea how you manage the quantities you do.  Respect  :lol:

Having got on top of it, I can hoe everything in two mornings. A couple of weeks ago I picked 40 lb (podded weight) of peas in two pickings 2 days apart.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 22:08 »
Quote from: "wighty"
I hope 'Skip' is enjoying my carrots as I've sowed three lots and none have come up and so have decided they've all gone 'south'.  Shan't bother again.

Don't have a problem with carrots, quite fortunate to have soil that's reasonably light without being sandy & hardly a stone in it.

"Wanganui Giants" will have to  wait for next year to try & do them justice!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Thanks DD!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 22:09 »
That's a lot of peas!!!!! Wow   :shock:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 22:11 »
I went to the plot on me bike. Had to call Mrs. DD. to bring the car up as no way could I get them in my rucksack.

They would have cost over 60 squid at Tesc*!

gobs

Thanks DD!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 22:21 »
Quote from: "DD."
A couple of weeks ago I picked 40 lb (podded weight) of peas in two pickings 2 days apart.

With your special method? :wink:  Well done. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
Thanks DD!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 22:25 »
No special method - just a lot of them!

SalJ1980

Thanks DD!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 14:46 »
Went up to the plot yesterday evening to find that something (from the feathers it appears to be one of the pheasants that live in/around the site) has been digging around in my 'row' of carrots - seeing as I've only had about 4 of the b*ggers actually grow I was a bit annoyed to say the least!!!  :evil:

Anyway, at least it's proved that I do have carrots:

I covered these back up and left them for a bit. But one had been entirely uprooted:

so I had to put it out of it's misery and eat it...well it wouldn't have survived in the wild, it was only an inch long!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Still tasted lovely and carroty though! :D

Trillium

Thanks DD!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 15:04 »
Sal, why don't you try growing them in plastic rainbarrels or rainbarrel halves? You can put in the soil that's best for carrots and it's high enough to fool pheasants and carrot flies. It's a bit of effort but you just can't beat home-grown carrots for taste.

SalJ1980

Thanks DD!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 16:52 »
That's a good plan Trillium, thanks! Next year I'll be trying all sorts of tricks to get some homegrown carrots!

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 36 queries.