Will I regret this?

• 17 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« on: July 14, 2008, 20:56 »
Having deceided to increase number of hens from 3 to 6 I rang a local person who breeds all sorts but mainly bantams......Casually mentioning that I have a Peking who goes broody" at the drop of a hat she suggested she gives me some eggs to put under her!

I have a little hen house that was lent to me until we got the "cube" so she suggested putting "broody" on an egg in there for a couple of days (she has been broody for about a week now..if she stays on the egg (one of our unfertilised ones) she will give me some of the real thing!

I expressed concern that I did not want cockrels and she said just to keep what I wanted...if indeed we wanted to keep any at all...did I mention that she has some 16 week olds that I can have to increase our group...which is what I rang up about in the first place! :roll:

Is this madness?

Will I become totally addicted and want to do it all the time?

mumsy

Will I regret this?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 20:58 »
Yes :D  :D  :D  :D

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 21:03 »
Wow that's a tempting offer isn't it!My first thought was what if you got cockerels,but then I read on,& your problems solved!It would be a lovely opportunity.I would love to get some fertilized eggs & let one of my chickens hatch them,but I wouldn't know what to do with the cockerels.You could tame them really well,having them from chicks.I bet that's got your mind racing now.... :lol:  :shock:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

violet

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 21:13 »
I have made up the "bed in the spare room" as it were for the broody girlie and put an egg in there..I took her out of the nes box with her chums and she immediately settled onto the nest with the egg...oh no what have I done?

Going round tommorow to the lady with the eggs to choose the older birds! and to let her know how Hannah (yes thats the broody hens name) is doing.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 21:54 »
ahhh.just think...little cute chicks....camera at the ready :D have fun 2moro!

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 23:10 »
how could  you say no  to babies??? its a slippery slope 1 egg under a broody becomes 6 fertile eggs and fingers crossed 6 babies and you get to choose which eggs to much more fun than choosing chickens.

FCG

Will I regret this?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 23:34 »
I can't wait till mine goes broody so i can get some chicks personally, go for it! You'll never look back.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Will I regret this?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 23:46 »
enjoy it, its wonderful. and im so envious.

bluebelle is now sitting on 12 eggs that i bought...not a single one fertile. so im on a mad hunt for someone local with genuine fertile eggs.

how will i be able to explain that she's not getting her babies???  :cry:

Porffor

Will I regret this?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:01 »
sounds you're already addicted if you are thinking of it seriously! lol ;)
nothing wrong with an addiction though! lol

Oh and wish she was near me, all my efforts to get younger/cheaper hens result in nothing... I'm going to wait and buy some pullets I think.

Really hope your hatching venture goes well!

violet

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 08:52 »
What has amazed me in my short time (since Easter) as a hen keeper is the kindness and generosity of other like minded lunatics...er I mean hen keepers!  Wherever I go I seem to find somebody who either does or did keep hens..is this just a South Yorkshire thing? or is it a countrywide obsession?

chookiepaula

Will I regret this?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:14 »
I would suggest the bug is catching as so many people now love and have chickens!

Good luck with your egglets itll be so much fun, I have just hatched 3 Aylesbury ducklings under my cochin hen! They look a little odd together and mum panicked when they first went onto the water, but now she is used to it and I think she enjoys having time to herself again whilst they go out for the day with their water wings and flippers!
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

violet

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:15 »
Like I said...all crazy!

Roughlee Handled

Will I regret this?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:25 »
Quote from: "chookiepaula"
I would suggest the bug is catching as so many people now love and have chickens!

Good luck with your egglets itll be so much fun, I have just hatched 3 Aylesbury ducklings under my cochin hen! They look a little odd together and mum panicked when they first went onto the water, but now she is used to it and I think she enjoys having time to herself again whilst they go out for the day with their water wings and flippers!

I am on my own at the moment dont know anyone who has chucks apart from this lot off nutters on this forum.

Going slighty mad in Lancashire.

Roughlee
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Will I regret this?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 15:15 »
Obviuosly addicted already the madness only gets worse once you hatch chicks.  :lol:

I am in East Yorks and since having my hens have made a great many friends with the same mad traits as me.  Enjoy your new hens and any little chicks that may hatch in three weeks time they are an obsession and you will be watching little chicks with their mummy very soon a very satisfying waste of time and distraction from housework.  :lol:  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Porffor

Will I regret this?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 15:20 »
I keep finding people that WANT to keep chooks - as well as some that already do. :) Even the guy in Homebase is a chook keeper and now helps me find the right plant and says hello when he see's me! :lol:

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.