Many questions from a tired and forgetful Gardgydja

• 2 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
Hello everyone,

I have been meaning to ask these questions for a few days now but every time I sit down at the laptop I forget to write them. Two years of no sleep is catching up to me. So here we go and as always, I will be ever so grateful for any tips, advice, etc.

1. What besides rabbits is eating my dill? It is munched right down. The fennel, chamomile, tarragon and chervil is left alone, but the dill is eaten up.

2. If you have blackberry "vines" (sorry don't know how to call them in English), the kind with no fruit, just the long ones with lots of thorns that go snaking across the ground, can you somehow prune them so they will produce fruit next year? This is happening in several corners of both of my plots- other folk's blackberries are sneaking in. I would like to have blackberries so if there's a way to tame them, I will try it.

3. Supposing you are a plotholder with lots of bolted spinach and some broccoli-raab. Would you let them go to seed or is that a waste of space? I have never collected seed before but I don't mind trying. Is it worth it or should I just buy another packet next year and use this space for a winter crop of some sort?

4. The rogue potatoes on our plot were much nicer than the "Timo" ones we bought and planted. I have found loads of small rogue potato plants still on my plot. Is it possible to leave them over the winter and then take them up, take off the spuds and replant them in a better spot next spring, or is there a better way? I would like to have them again and I'm pretty sure they can survive the winter, since they did for the two years the plot was empty, but I don't know what I'm doing, really.

5. I suppose I should plant some sort of winter cover crop in the empty spaces, since my soil is so poor in organic material. What would be the best for a fairly cool climate and sandy soil? And where can I buy the seed?

Thank you if you have read this far!

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 21:30 »
Blackberry vines:....If you take the tips from neighbours plants and layer them into your plot ie: get a u shaped piece of wire and push the tip into the soil and secure it with the wire and you should be able to propagate them this way. Does this make sense??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 23:01 »
Blackberry vines the ones with no fruit will probably be next years fruiting cane

4) you could just take them up and keep 'em frost free your self  but yes they probably may survive  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
a few questions

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 23:02
by viettaclark
xx
2 questions

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 16:43
by Azazello
xx
help please with several questions

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 13:32
by Jome
xx
Tom Questions!

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 07:52
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 36 queries.