Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED

• 18 Replies

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« on: July 13, 2008, 20:28 »
I think my tomatoes have a virus :(  :(
Noticed a yellowish mottling on lower leaves a good few weeks ago and have been spraying with epsom salts in the hope that it was magnesium deficiency. But its got worse and now all leaves are mottley. The yellow mottles gradually turn brown/bronze. Have googled and it looks like spotted wilt?
It doesnt seem to have stopped the plants from cropping, they are loaded with toms but none are ripe yet. Have stripped the worst effected leaves off and burnt them.
All toms were grown from seed in disinfected pots etc and greenhouse was gutted and disinfected in the spring. Outdoor toms are unaffected.
Are there any tomato experts out there that could help me.
Wll be devastated if I loose them because I lost the lot with blight last year

HELP :(
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 23:43 »
Its possible it could be the Mosiac virus, most tomatoes encounter this virus at some point. A picture would really help though :) Mosiac Virus looks like a bronzy colour. My beef tomatoes had some, leaves and infected areas should be removed imediately.

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 00:11 »
I will try to photo tomorrow - I am sure there will be some more infected leaves then.
Does this mean all the fruit will be no good? I have 24 tom plants in the greenhouse, different varieties. I have Shirley plants which are supposed to be mosaic resistent but that has it as well?
BJ

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 00:24 »
I don't know about Mosiac Resistent, but I'm no expert. This is Mosiac.

you could also try looking it up on wikipedia :)

gobs

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:01 »
Quote from: "Big Jen"
I will try to photo tomorrow - I am sure there will be some more infected leaves then.
Does this mean all the fruit will be no good? I have 24 tom plants in the greenhouse, different varieties. I have Shirley plants which are supposed to be mosaic resistent but that has it as well?
BJ

You would need an insect vector for them to be there, most likely. Growth and fruiting is usually effected, so I'm doubtful.

Red spider mites by any chance?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:54 »
It does look a bit like the photo above, on older leaves which I have know destroyed but it starts as yellow spots.
Definately no whitefly, blackfly. As for red spider mite - what sort of thing should I look for?.
Cant photo till tonight as at work.
BJ

gobs

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 13:33 »
You would have noticed if you had them. If no sign of insects, have a look at leaf mould, there some good photos on google images.

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 20:30 »
Photos added
Can anyone give me some good news :?:

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 21:40 »
The first 2 pics look very much like mosaic, which isnt bad because you can just pull off the leaves infected. The other 2,.....................possibly rust? Thats how it looks. I hope someone confirms it

agapanthus

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 21:53 »
Looks like mosaic....take off the affected leaves...try and leave a few green ones on.Give it a squirt with washing up liquid and water...the bleach in the washing up liquid will hopefully sort it out! ;)

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 15:43 »
In my experience, I just pulled off the leaves and that was the end of it :)

Quote from: "Big Jen"

Can I just say, wow those leaves look huge :)

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 20:22 »
Yes those leaves are off Brandywine Toms and they are huge, more like banana leaves. The tomatoes are very big as well, just hope they manage to ripen with this mosaic problem. :(
BJ

lincspoacher

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 00:57 »
The distortion of the leaves is suggestive of Tomato Aspermy Virus. Are here any Chrysanthemums nearby ? Otherwise id go for Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Either way its down to aphids spreading it.

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 14:38 »
Hi Big Jen

Just seen your post - the leaves on your tomatoes pictures 3 & 4 look very much like mine.  I am so hoping that the folks who have replied to you are wrong, I have done a lot of reading and was convinced my problem was magnesium deficiency.

I posted earlier in the week and had a really great reply and have been out and bought some Epsom Salts from the garden centre and have both sprayed and watered the plants with it.

Will keep an eye on your post see how you go - I am hoping to see some results in a week or two as the plants have grown really well and have lots of fruit set on them now.  Would be very sad to loose the lot.

cheers

willnbirdie

Big Jen

Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 20:14 »
Hi Willnbirdie
I was really hoping it was magnesium deficiency as well but its not. :cry:
The epsom salts do seem to help the plants though and keep the remaining leaves green. I have 24 plants in my greenhouse absolutely laden with toms and still flowering like mad. I thought that viruses affected the yield of fruit? I have cut some of the toms in half and there is no sign of any mosaic inside them. Just have to keep fingers crossed that I get them ripe.
BJ

xx
Tomato virus in the news

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 10:48
by jambop
question
Tomato virus in compost?

Started by dcr09 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:01
by dcr09
xx
winter lettuce PICS ADDED

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 23:07
by compostqueen
xx
Sub-soil on new lottie (now with added pics)

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 22:47
by woodburner

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 36 queries.